1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98se software

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ivonne, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ivonne

ivonne Thread Starter

I have been going back and forth with several perople and businesses about the correct words I need to use for this program. My parents have a Gateway puter and had the hard drive formatted. My question is they need to replace the 98SE windows software but they need the package that was printed in 2000, can you explain the difference so that I can get them the correct software, I have been going in circles on this, and no one seems to understand what I need.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi and welcome to TSG.Normally a PC comes with either a restore disc or a disc with the OS on it.Are you saying that you have neither?
    If that is the case,then I would say that your option is to buy a windows 98SE disc or if your hardware peripherals will support it,go to XP home if you have the storage to handle it.

3. ivonne

ivonne Thread Starter

My parents have #2 setup restore and #3 application restore, we are trying to find or locate #1 recovery. Once I have located that for them, then my question is the 98SE program that they need, is that the same as the 2000 release for the 98se software. I keep getting conflicting feedback on what it is that Gateway told my parents. The said that they needed the Windows 988se that was released/printed in 2000. Also, if I locate the #1 recovery for them will this complete all to get the system running again. My Dad is a die-hard stubborn man and wants his Gateway back, he does not want to learn XP. THX

4. dai

dai

don't know much about restore disks but the 2000 one probably has the updates to that point included in the setup on the disk and will cause a conflict if you use the earlier version

5. ivonne

ivonne Thread Starter

If they had a 98se in the system before the crash then shouldn't they continue with that one instead of the 2000

6. dai

dai

gateway must have a reason for telling you to use a 2000 version of 98se
    i.e
    if you bought xp in 2002 it would be the original version
    if you bought it six months ago it would be xp including sp1
    if you buy a copy next week it would be xp+ sp2
    all three xp but completly different

7. ivonne

ivonne Thread Starter

Thank you very much, simple explanation, operator head space. This finally makes sense in a way that I can explain to the family. I thought that what they meant was the 98se is the 2000 release program, so I will now get the 98se for them. Thank you very much again. I will definately use this site for any computer questions that I have.

8. dai

dai

win 2000 is a diferent op. system altogether

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice