1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98SE Update Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swaters, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

My problem started when I went to do a Windows Update on a 98 SE machine running IE 6 SP1. I went throught all the Win Update processes of scanning for updates, selecting updates, then I click on the Accept button for the EULA agreement, it goes into the download window and does nothing from there. I found a fix for this on the Windows Update troubleshooting page. It said to re-register 4 files: msscript.ocx, dispex.dll, vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll. All of the files re-registered fine except for msscript.ocx. I clicked on run under the start menu and typed in: regsvr32 msscript.ocx and ran it. I got the following error:

LoadLibrary("msscript.ocx") failed.
    GetLastError returns 0x00000485

I tried to run Windows Update again and it still didn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

BTW: I also did an IE repair and it didn't resolve the problem.

2. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

I installed Microsoft Script 5.6 and am still having no luck. It seems to be a problem related to pop-up windows. Any page which is not opened in the same window as it's link doesn't work. At first I thought a pop-up blocker was installed, but there isn't one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This one's starting to drive me insane. Thanks.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Swaters:

Go into "Find" and bring up the DISPEX.DLL file. Right-click it, then click Properties - Version(tab). What version number is listed? If you have 5.6.0.8515 or newer, you need to reinstall 5.6.0.6626 in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder to replace the newer version. This should correct the Windows update problem. If you need a copy of it and can't find it on the internet, let me know. Read here and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

The version is 5.6.0.6626. It seems to be more of an IE new window problem than just a Windows Update problem. Whenever a web page calls for a new window to be open, it crashes. I was trying to open a PDF which opens in a new window, and all I got was a blank window.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice