1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98se/ xp & router problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by snickers-888, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snickers-888

snickers-888 Thread Starter

:mad:
    This is a complicated one & I need advice please.

My desk PC runs windows 98se & I have Broadband connected to it.
    I have a new laptop that runs XP professional.

I have bought a 2300 wireless broadband router that should work as long as a least 1 computer is running on win 2000, xp home or professional.

still awake? ;)

The installation disc will only work when installing it on the computer running 2000 or xp & I have to run it on my PC that runs on 98se.
    The instuctions inform you that in order to install it on 98se you have to go to RUN>http://my.router & set it all up from there. This is where my problems start........I do as above & I get the message that this does not exist/moved etc.......so now I am stuck & feel so stupid & helpless.

I would be delighted if someone could help

Many thanks

2. dai

dai

run it and set it up on xp
    enable dhcp
    the router will then assign an ip address to the computers

3. snickers-888

So do I have to connect the laptop to the Broadband modem & get a connection up & running there first & then install the cd into the laptop.
    Sorry to be a dummy but I have no experience of networking.....I just assumed that the static desk pc ( win 98se) would act as say the server & the new Laptop ( xp) would be "attached" to that.
    If I can do it the other way round ...I will be happy ( I hope)

PS : enable dhcp...whats dhcp? :eek:

4. dai

dai

dynamic host configuration protocol
    you are not using ics so there is no server
    i am no expert on this so bear with my odd descriptions
    the internet comes in and the router acts like a double adapter which lets each computer work independantly
    follow your manual
    input your isp info into the router & select it auto assign dchp
    in your tcip on your computers,set them to obtain adddresses dynamically
    use straight through cat5 patch cables to connect the computers to the router

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have yet to see a router that "required" any setup disk. They frequently come with a wizard install interface to make simple for beginners to setup the system, but they're not necessary.

If you'd be more specific about make/model of your broadband modem and router, as well as the type of ISP you have, we could probably be more specific.

6. snickers-888

DELL 2300 wireless broadband router
    SURFBOARD SB4100 CABLE MODEM
    TELEWEST (blueyonder)

"the internet comes in and the router acts like a double adapter which lets each computer work independantly"

Now Dai has told me this, I feel confident enough ( I think) to set up the Laptop & get it going from there.

You guys are great....many thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice