Windows 98se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

liljef95

undefined

My "sleep" function is defective. When I key "wake up" the screen remains black and I have to turn off power and restart or, if I'm in a document, the desktop appears and I have to reopen the document. Can you help?

bearone2

Banned
don't use it if you have problems, just shut it down when you're done for the day.

with 98se on it it's probably 5-7 years old and a few more on/off cycles aren't going to kill it. some old mother boards just aren't up to a lot of what's in 98se.

in an older computer years ago, usb was referred to in the bootup sequence but i was unable to get it to work yet the mb said it was capable.

this was back when usb was starting to be an integral part of the computer not something that had to be added card/adapter to make it work. :cool:

liljef95

Thanks, Barone. I like to put my computer to sleep because it saves wattage. I'm using the Standby feature under Start instead.
bearone2 said:
don't use it if you have problems, just shut it down when you're done for the day.

with 98se on it it's probably 5-7 years old and a few more on/off cycles aren't going to kill it. some old mother boards just aren't up to a lot of what's in 98se.

in an older computer years ago, usb was referred to in the bootup sequence but i was unable to get it to work yet the mb said it was capable.

this was back when usb was starting to be an integral part of the computer not something that had to be added card/adapter to make it work. :cool:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your computer will have less problems with the advanced power management features(i.e. suspend, standby, sleep, hibernate, etc.) disabled.

I have feeling though that you don't want to do that.

liljef95

Hi, Flavellee,

Thanks for your input but I am a real novice and am wary of doing much of anything to the computer unless my 12 year old nephew does it for me.

liljef95

When you are done with it for a while, just reach up and turn off the monitor. The pc itself doesn't use a whole lot of power. The monitor is the power hog. I turn my PC off at night but during the day, when I go away for a while, click. And I don't worry about if the pc is gonna wake up or not. Good luck.

liljef95

Thank you, Junker 39, for your input. But I still need help. Turning off the monitor worked for one day, then when I pushed the monitor on button I still had black screen. I don't understand your comment that "when I go away for a while, click. And I don't worry about if the pc is gonna wake up or not." What do you click? If the pc doesn't wake up, how do you continue using it without rebooting?

I didn't reply to your note right away because I wanted to see what would happen after a few days. Hope you'll reply faster than I did.

liljef95

What you gotta do is go into Display Properties and disable the ScreenSaver and in Power savings and set everything to Always On. That way, the PC is always running and you just "click" the monitor off. (I hope I explained that O.K.)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't use a screensaver at all, and I keep the Power Options settings set to "Always On" for power scheme and "Never" for all the rest.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online