Windows 98SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

petriemr

When I try and start the computer, it runs through the first black screen with writing and goes to the clouds background and stays there.... HELP!!

Thanks

Will it start up in Safe Mode?

tap f8 repeatedly as it boots up until you get the option to select safe mode.

petriemr

no. I tried the F8 method and it allowed me to choose the safe mode, but it still would not advance past the "cloud - Windows 98" screen!

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi..Try restoring the Registry.....f8.....Choose... command prompt..type..scanreg/restore..choose date before problem..not the oldest...

petriemr

It won't bring up a prompt or let me type anything! One more thing I noticed is that the red light that indicates (by flashing) that the computer is "thinking"... stays lit steadily after the screen with the clouds. It's not a frozen screen, as the little bar on the bottom of the Windows 98 logo is still moving left to right.

From your first post it didn't seem likely that you would be able to get to a DOS prompt. What other suggestions have you tried?

petriemr

I tried to insert the Windows 98 CD that came with the machine and it would not read it. Then I copied a startup disk from a different link ( I think it was from you on a different thread), but that didn't work either!

What link?
What type of startup disk (floppy or CD)?
What about it didn't work?
Is your computer configured to boot from a CD before the hard drive?

Yes. And that's why a simple reinstall of the OS may fix it.

But you need to be able to boot to either a floppy or CD.

That is true, my father brings mine to Glenco Compy Services but that is around here...we brought it there through these problems...and I think it is busted, no re-install.....

petriemr

It was a startup file from bootdisk?.com?!? or something like that. But it appears as though it is not configured to start up the CD before windows. It does check the floppy drive first.... but the problem is that that computer is the only one in the house that has a floppy drive! Is there a way to change that?!?

Not a link from me.

I have a generic one which you can download and at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win98_img.exe

Just insert and floppy and run the program after you download it. This will automatically format, copy the files to the floppy disk.

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Move, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Updated Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

Not only are there more utilities on there but it starts much faster since it doesn't have to create the RAM disk and then expand the cab file from the floppy to that RAM disk.

It automatically loads with support for a generic CD ROM and assigns it the drive letter of X:

There is also a CD ROM boot image you can download at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso

In addition to all the other DOS utilities, the CD version also has:
DELPART - For deleting DOS and NTFS partitions. Can delete extended NTFS partitions.
FDISK121 - FDISK with additional options - See the documentation, and
READNTFS - Read and Copy files on a NTFS partition.

The CD image needs to be burned using a program that recognized ISO images.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts