Windows 98to XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TBauscher

I currently have Windows 98 on my computer and I would like to upgrade to XP. Can I do this, and how much memory space do I have to have?

That would be hard drive space, memory is something completely different. Why not post your computer specs and go from there?

Ummm...that would be your memory. If you only had 128MB of hard drive space you wouldn't even run Win98. Anyway, we need all the specs for your PC including hard drive space. 128MB of memory is plenty to run XP. I would also suggest formatting your hard drive and install it on a clean hard drive because any problems you have with 98 will probably remain or be worse in XP.

TBauscher

Can you tell my where I could find this information? I'm looking in properties on My computer.

TBauscher

The problem is that I bought a new MP3 player that is only supported by Windows 98 SE or newer and I have Windows 98. I'm trying to get this to work on my computer somehow.

Double left click on My Computer then right click C and choose Properties.
A pie chart will pop up indicating the size of you hard drive

Wolfey

You have plenty of space left TB but, as Rockn said it may be better to totally reformat your drive as xp takes up about 1.5gb on it's own.
Are you up on formatting as I notice your a beginner it can be a daunting task?
I have never seen an upgrade being performed so I can't really say what you may see.
Others may be of more help on this for you TB

Wolfey (y)

Click this link TB and look for post number 5, the post number is in the top right hand corner.
This explanation is primarily concerned with wiping the hard drive and reinstalling a new operating system.
Don't try to use an upgrade disk on a fresh install it won't work.

http://forums.techguy.org/t374632.html

Wolfey (y)

The guide you wrote is fine Wolfeymole but it might be a bit daunting for a new user, here is a simplified / extended guide.

Make sure you back up anything you need to keep - this proceedure will erase everthing from your computer

You will need a Windows XP Disk.
Shut down your compluter and start it up again, the first screens you see when you switch your computer on will say "Press F12 to Setup", this may be slightly different, and may say "Press F12 to goto boot menu", they key isnt always F12, it is sometimes F2 and often "Del". When you find the correct key, press it stright away.
You will be taken to the "BIOS" screen, this looks like a very simple graphic screen. These are always different, you you need to try and find the "Boot Sequence" screen, its in there somewhere, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to find it :) When you have, make sure you change "CD-ROM" to the very top option - i.e. Number 1.
Now you should find an select "Save Changes and Exit", this will likely be on an "Exit" Menu.

Make sure the disk is in the CD-Rom drive and restart the computer again.

A Promt may appear saying "Press Any Key to Boot from CD Rom...." make sure you press a key on the keyboard before the promt disapears.
After a few minutes of blue screens and windows messages you will be at the installation of XP.
You will be asked various things, on the screen, just accept them in the method it tells you, with the Liscence agreement you need to press "F8" to accept it.
You will eventually be presented with a list of your Hard drives, there will probably just be one - press "D" on your keyboard, you will be asked to confirm it, once its done you will have deleted eveything on your hard drive, dont worry though, it will soon have a fresh copy of Windows on it :D
Now you should be back on the screen that shows your hard drives - all that will be there is "Unpartitioned Space", make sure this is highlighted and press "C" on your keyboard, confirm what it says on the next screens, and then you will be back at the screen for the third time.

Press "Enter" On your keyboard and you should just confirm all the default options, then the disk will format and windows XP will install!

You will then be presented with a graphic windows installation - this is very easy to follow and you should be done in 30mins to 1hour.

When your done you will have to install all the programs you had on before the installation :)

Your explanation to the post is quite concise Metaphoric, however I feel you miss a couple of points regarding a new install.
For a start you need to tell TB that he needs a fully working version of XP, he may construe "You need an XP disk" as a boot disk or a recovery disk.
Regarding entering the Bios the statement appertaining to the boot sequence as "it's in there somewhere" is not precise.
It's under Advanced CMOS Setup.
I have just been in the Bios and once I get into the advanced section all help (to a inexperienced person) dissapears.
You perhaps could have mentioned that, to change settings you may have to press Page Up/Down, (these options may have been overlooked on the main page)
You mention to press any key to boot from the cd in the first instance but fail to mention NOT to press it again when xp reboots.
I'm not having a go Met so please don't take offence.

Wolfey :)

Wolfeymole said:
Your explanation to the post is quite concise Metaphoric, however I feel you miss a couple of points regarding a new install.
For a start you need to tell TB that he needs a fully working version of XP, he may construe "You need an XP disk" as a boot disk or a recovery disk.
Regarding entering the Bios the statement appertaining to the boot sequence as "it's in there somewhere" is not precise.
It's under Advanced CMOS Setup.
I have just been in the Bios and once I get into the advanced section all help (to a inexperienced person) dissapears.
You perhaps could have mentioned that, to change settings you may have to press Page Up/Down, (these options may have been overlooked on the main page)
You mention to press any key to boot from the cd in the first instance but fail to mention NOT to press it again when xp reboots.
I'm not having a go Met so please don't take offence.

Wolfey :)
None taken :D

Input from others is always good :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online