1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows acting like it's in safe mode.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by megatronstein, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. megatronstein

megatronstein Thread Starter

I have Windows XP and I was using Firefox. I clicked the X to close one of the tabs that I had open, and the whole window closed. A new window popped up that said something like "Firefox Crashed", and it gave me the option to send info to Mozilla about the crash, and then there were two options: one to restart Firefox and one to quit Firefox. I chose "restart" and nothing happened. I hit ctrl-alt-del to make sure my computer just wasn't being slow, and it wasn't, Firefox just hadn't opened up again. So I clicked my Firefox icon, and the "Firefox Crashed" box popped up again. It did this repeatedly, so I restarted, and Windows seemed to get stuck at the screen right before you see the desktop. I was impatient, so I restarted again, but in safe mode. I then ran Malwarebytes' and it came up with no results. I thought that maybe it was just a fluke, and the first time I restarted, it had just randomly been taking longer, so I then restarted again in normal mode. Again it seemed to be taking a long time, but I just waited. A minute later, it started up, but it wasn't right. The taskbar is minimized, and it won't come back up. I can also see that it's not the normal blue color, but it's the older-looking tan color that it had in safe mode. I still get the "Firefox Crashed" box when I try to open Firefox, but it doesn't matter because it won't even connect to the internet when I try Internet Explorer anyway. It also won't let me run Malwarebytes' anymore. This is all way over my head, so hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Boot into Safe Mode and let your installed anti-virus run a full scan on all drives and see what it finds. I realize you can`t update it as you`d normally do before a scan but work with what you`ve got for the time being.

Jenny

3. megatronstein

megatronstein Thread Starter

I ran malwarebytes in safe mode again and it didn't find anything.

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Malwarebytes is good at picking up malware (the clue is in the name) but you need to run an aniti-virus scan using an anti-virus program and possibly a spyware scan as well just to make sure your system is free from nasties.

I`ve been told off on here for recommending anti-nasty software to people because I haven`t been officially recognized so I`ll just tell you that I`ve used AVG and Spybot (both freebies) in the past with a great deal of success and indeed they`re still installed and giving me hassle-free surfing.

Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice