Windows activation code not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

leonk

Hi all,

I have recently had to format my hard disc and reinstall windows. I used the Windows XP CD that came with my computer and I have my Windows XP activiation code on a sticker ontop of my PC. I have reinstalled windows a few times without any problems, but on this new install it is not accepting my activation code.

I have tried calling the helpline to activate over the telephone, but this just seems to lead to entering in the code again which it doesnt accept. Once I tell the (automated) helpline that my code doesnt work it tells me to contact my supplier.

My supplier (Mesh) is giving me very general advice. "Re-read the code as certain letters could appear to be different, e.g. D or O" or "call the windows helpline".

What should I do from here? I only have a few days left for activation, will my Windows stop working?

Thanks for any advice
Leon

SUEOHIO

SUE
it could be several things. your cd might either be bad or it needs cleaned. the laser in your drive maybe isnt reading the cd right or like they told u reread the product code very carefully. its very easy to mix up some of the letters and numbers.or if u have a friend that has the same windows xp that u have u can use theirs and then type in the product code. if u have xp home u have to use an xp home disk. if u have xp pro it has to be xp pro.and from what i understand if its not activated within 30 days u will no longer be able to use windows. i believe it either stops working or u are locked out of it. ive never had that problem so that would be my guess. when u called to activate it they should of given u another code to use. i had that happen only one time and then i was good to go.hope this helps u.

leonk

Thanks! I think that's what it is, I've installed XP Professional and my code is for XP home (a bit strange as I installed it from a CD that has my computer's manuacturer logo on it, and which I am sure came with the computer).

Is it possible to install XP home over my current OS without losing my data?

Thanks again

SUEOHIO

SUE
what i would do is back up all of your important stuff like files, drivers, documents, pix,etc and burn them to a cd and save it. unless im missing something when u do a fresh reinstall of windows everything is wiped out.if u have xp home in your computer u have to use an xp home disk with a coa sticker.if u use xp pro u have to have a coa sticker for that also thats legit. u cant mix and match. in other words u cant use a coa from pro on home and vice versa.hope this helps u.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online