1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows activation code

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coolhand420, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolhand420

coolhand420 Thread Starter

i just upgrade my system to xp a few weeks ago everything has been for the most part smooth operating a few minor adjusment in the settings and what not but all in all im very pleased with the performance so far, so i decided i was going to put it on my other puter wich wife and kids mostly use and whats this i can only use it as a trial for 30 days?i tried to register it with the same info as my first but it says its already used. i understand they want to avoid piracy but what do i have to do buy a seperate operating system for each and every comp in my house thats stupid as my second computer is very rarley used is there anyway around this or has that snake microsoft bit me again? once again i dont want to make a whole bunch of copies of xp and sell them and profit off it i just want to use it on my other puter and it only has 7 days left on the trial what happens then will it lock me out i didnt install over win98 i did a clean install so there is no other operating sysem on the puter what should i do?:confused: :mad: :p :rolleyes:

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy coolhand420

Yep... one copy ...one computer

After 180 days ( I think that's the number) the activation code resets itself and you can install it on another machine

XP Activation

I have seen where you can by another license at a reduced price but don't remember where at the moment

buck

3. coolhand420

coolhand420 Thread Starter

freakin microsoft i hate to love em but i love to hate em
    guess in 180 days then txs

4. Huon

Huon

Mmm. I hate to make thngs worse, but you will not be a lot better off in 180 days as I understand it. You may be able to reinstall xp at that stage, and again you will be on 30 day trial, and required to activate.
    m$ says...
    "In general, Windows XP is licensed for use on a single PC. It cannot be installed on more than one PC without purchasing additional licenses. It can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. "
    To activate on the second machine I understand you will have to contact MS and persuade them that the original machine is no longer running XP..:(

5. kramnnim

kramnnim

Actually, I'm pretty sure MS does clear the code after 180 days. I've activated 2 PC's with the same key, just to see if it would work, and it does. It's not legal, though..

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

All MS products (Win3.1, Win95, Win98 etc etc) are licensed for ONE machine. People didn't respect that though and loaded whatever on whatever whenever. Now with XP, MS has and activation code. This simply stops most people from loading it on more than one machine, their kid's machine, their neighbor's machine, and on and on. If I wrote software and sold it, then I wouldn't want it passed along for free. My point? Don't blame MS, blame all the hackers who undercut software thus making O/S's cost more to everyone else.

7. williamrbh

williamrbh

Edited by AcaCandy

Two posts and the best you can do is help crack software....I would suggest you go find another site to hang out on.........

8. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    Please read the rules of this site... we do not provide a method to hack, crack or pirate software...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice