1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Admin account and password security issue

Discussion in 'General Security' started by etaf, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    Windows Admin account and password security issue

I had a message today that a UK TV program suggest that all windows accounts should be password protected.

I also noticed that PCs are now often preset up , recently a ASUS system was setup - so that when switched ON , you do not have to setup - it takes you directly to the start screen, and with no user password

Most of my users are elderly and passwords do get them confused sometimes- so with new PCs , we tend to set-up 1 account , that logs in automatically and do not use a password
    But ensure, UAC set any program trying to run will prompt for permission

Is there a huge security advantage in having a windows login - for a single user , who does not have any one else in the home and the PC does not leave the house .

I'm trying to find the program in UK that may have made quite a few people unsure of their security now.

I guess then a we should also setup a user account and not use the admin account, if we are trying to avoid potential malware using the admin account etc

Thanks
    Wayne

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

A standard account will stop some hacker/malware from owning the machine right off upon infection. But some malware will still function in a standard account.

Depending on whether your users do online banking and do online purchases, you might want to install some kind of anti-keylogging program to foil somebody capturing passwords and credit card info. I use Zemana.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for that,

thats what I thought as well, a virus will get by anyway. So i setup most machines to not use a password, just wanted to be sure , as this TV programme may have a few people asking to have passwords added, and if thats what they want , i can do that , but just wanted to make sure theres not a huge security advantage

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice