1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Admin Issues...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashiffler, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashiffler

ashiffler Thread Starter

Recently I was browsing web security sites and one recommended that I should not be logged on as administrator. As of yet when the initial windows login screen popped up, admin was the only option that I had. So, I went in and created a new admin account, another account for me and finally the guest account. Now when I log into my new accounts I can't find any of my files and many of my programs. Did I just screw things up completely and delete my files or what? Thanks.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's simply because they are in the original user's documents folder.

One thing you can do is log in with the original account and copy them to the new user's documents folder.

Or copy them to a common location that all the user's can access like c:\docs (as an example)

3. ashiffler

ashiffler Thread Starter

That really helps. The one thing that would make it perfect would be to figure out how to import all of my settings and whatnot. Thanks again!

4. clubk1d

clubk1d

login to your admin acount. then go to "C:\Documents and Settings" to go to user profiles area, copy all files inside the Administrator profile and paste it to your newly created profile. . restart and login to your new account. .hope this help you out.

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. ashiffler

ashiffler Thread Starter

Man, I've been bumbling about on my computer for years now(I'm an old mac user) and it's really great to see that there is somewhere I can get the help I need and quickly, too! You guys have been a HUGE help.

Thanks again,

Andy Shiffler

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Note that might not import all your settings and e-mail. But will copy your documents.

8. acheng

acheng

what was the reason for not logging on as administrator? Not to log on as a user with admin rights? or not to log on as user named "administrator".?

9. ashiffler

ashiffler Thread Starter

I read online that it is a good idea not to do most of your browsing, etc. on an account with admin privledges so that any viruses/malware don't have full access to your comp. I'm not sure how true this is, but I'm gullible.

10. clubk1d

clubk1d

yeah! it is absolutely correct that it is not a good idea to surf or browse on the internet using your administrator account. Why? some of the reason is that, you administrator account is the main ( GOD ) account of your computer, everything that you want to install, delete, create, restore, etc. ., you can do it using the admin account. Therefore, there is also a possibility that you might get infected if you accidentally access on the internet a website that has a malicious codes or executable files that will install some programs to your computer instantly, right? In my own opinion, it is better to create a limited user account first before discovering the world using your internet connection! :) (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice