1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows and DOS

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by zergpc208, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Why do Windows 2000 and Windows XP does not use DOS? Like Windows 95 and Windows 98 DOS and Windows was made in one.Not like Windows 3.1 will Windows ran on top of DOS .

And Windows 95 and Windows 98 DOS and Windows was made in one.Just like Windows paint is part of Windows 95 and Windows 98 same has DOS .

Well Windows ME does have a DOS prompt in Windows but you cannot boot to DOS prompt only .

Windows 2000 and Windows XP does not use DOS but has a command prompt that you can bring up in Windows but you cannot boot to the command prompt.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Because the new OSes were built around the NT architecture that was built to run on the NTFS file system natively and does not have DOS roots. The command prompt on NT/2000/XP is just an interface and most people get it confused with dos. basically the command prompt is a shell that allows for use in alot of dos commands (not all dos commands) to manipulate the underlying OS structure but it is not a true DOS at all.

DOS based OSes basically died with Windows ME and I don't think its coming back. The reason I don't see it making a resurgence is because computer security is on the forefront of everyone, even the home users, minds and DOS is not very secure at all in comparrison of the OSes out there. Both Linux and NT both have systems in place to try and block OS manipulation from outside sources - E.G. user accounts, file system security, permissions, and things of that nature.

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Well that is too bad.I think you can get CD or floppy that allows you to boot to DOS command to manipulate.

But NT/2000/XP you cannot boot to command prompt only.But there is command prompt in Windows you can run like DOS .

And I know Linux has command prompt in its GUI too!!

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

7. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

I think Mack computers have a command prompt .You really don't need to use the command prompt much now only like 4% of the time.Many still like to use the command prompt because it is faster and easy to use .

Well recovery console or other utilities programs are must to use!!

If you really want to get good at removing malware and stuff you need to learn how to use the highjack this program and read the highjack this log and what utilities you need to remove the malware and how to use the utilities .You also have to have good understanding of the Windows registry and Windows internal file structure and design .

You may be looking at the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) anyone with that schooling you should be able work has a support technician dealing with malware problems and highjack this log ..They get pay over $90.000 a year.

Now about Linux they have those Linux bible books over 1,000 pages on how to use Linux from people telling me Linux is very and I mean very hard to learn but after you learn Linux it is easy to use .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!