1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Audio Service Cannot Start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wavuti, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavuti

wavuti Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am having problems getting sound to play on my speakers and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Some background:

I had to do a clean re-install of of Windows XP on a Sony VIAO desktop PC. Everything seemed to be working fine, including the sound. But after installing some updates including Service Pack 3, the sound just stopped working. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers without success. The device manager shows that the sound controllers are fine(see attached for devicemanager.gif)

Now I have tried looking at the related service(s) and was unable to start the Windows Audio Service. The error I get is "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."(see attached screen shot - servicerr.gif)

By the way, the service is set to start automatically but something seems to be causing it to fail. I checked on event viewer and there are a bunch of services that fail to start automatically on booting, including Windows Audio service. The error showing up is: "The Windows Audio service hung on starting." See attached screen shot - eventviewer.gif . One other thing I noticed is that the Windows XP takes quite a bit of time to login after I enter my username and password on booting. But after that it is smooth sailing except for the sound.

I also did a complete uninstall of all Norton antivirus/spyware software after reading that that could be the source of the issue. Didn't help.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what it is. It cannot be a virus/spyware since it is a clean re-install. I and would hate to think that the solution is a Windows repair/re-install. Any ideas before I pull all my hair out?!!:(

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. smith_

smith_

Try to uninstall service pack3..and check sound service is working or not. more help go iyogi.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice