1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows backs out to welcome screen while in use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BTAngel, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTAngel

BTAngel Thread Starter

The computer at my office is old.

Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
    DELL Dimension 3000
    Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz
    512 MB DDR RAM

It logs on just fine. In fact, it performs most of its intended functions quite admirably for a computer of its age. However, sometimes in the middle of a session it will randomly back out to the Welcome Screen. I won't have pressed any buttons or clicked anything accidentally. I'll just be working on Excel or Quickbooks or what have you and it will just switch to the Welcome Screen. All I have to do is click my profile and goes right back.

It would only be a minor annoyance except it also does this when I am logged on remotely from another room. I use LogMeIn.com for this purpose. Whenever it backs out of windows, it disconnects me from the computer and often won't allow reconnection until I re-enter Windows manually. I would be tempted to think the software required to run it might be the cause, but, like I said before, the computer does this even when the remote session is not active.

I've had a lot of experience with computers in general and XP in particular, but this is a new one on me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice