1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows backup utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by norman55, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norman55

norman55 Thread Starter

I need to backup weekly updated files that I use.
    But when I use the windows update utility I can only backup to an A drive floppy and not to the E drive cd that I want to use as backup. Help!!
    I am running windows xp home. Thnx

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

XP can write data to CD-RW, but not directly from NTBackup. However, you can place backup files in the XP CD-RW write subsystem's spooler, which effectively writes the data directly to CD-RW. To add files to the spooler, perform the following steps:

1. Start NTBackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Backup).
    2. Select the Backup tab.
    3. Select the files that you want to back up to CD-RW.
    4. Select File for the type of "Backup destination."
    5. Enter the following file location:

C:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\
    Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf

If you aren't sure what the <user name> variable needs to be, go to a command prompt and type

echo %userprofile%

to check your %userprofile% environment setting.
    6. After you specify the location of your files in the CD-RW cache, right-click the "CD write" icon in Windows Explorer and select "Write these files to CD" to write the backup files to CD-RW.

3. norman55

norman55 Thread Starter

thanks Mike for your needed input,
    but my problem maybe stems from "step 4" of your reply.
    I notice that in "Backup destination " the word "file" and the drop down arrow are not highlighted; I can't type anything in that box.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

Below the backup destination box is backup media or filename . Try setting the destination there.

5. norman55

norman55 Thread Starter

Thanks again Mike,
    I typed in the destination in the "backup media or filename"
    but it points the data to the A (floppy drive). I also tried prefixing
    the file name with the letter E (cd drive),but it didn't take. For some reason my E drive isn't recognized as backup point.
    So--- I put on my work boots and did a right click on each folder
    and copy/sent the info to the E drive cd successfully.
    So now I have a backup copy on cd media. It's just a shame I could not utilize the Win Backup utility.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice