1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows blocking bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cornputer, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cornputer

cornputer Thread Starter

hey
    im not sure if this is the right place to post but i thought this was kinda networking. let me know if i should post this somewhere else

my dad recently bought a new mobile phone and wants to send files to and from the computer using bluetooth. i dont have much experience with it, but i got him a eagletec bluetooth thing and im using the windows bluetooth driver since the one that came with the device clashes with the windows one.

after some hard work i finally got it set up and i can send files from the computer to the phone. however, my phone still cannot initiate a connection to the computer even when i open start receiveing a file (when i search for devices on the phone it shows the computer but when i try to connect it says i get disconnected. i pair from the computer) is there like some kind of firewall or something against transmission that i have to deacctivate before i can send files from phone?

thanks anyone in advance

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Sounds like XP may have it's automatic firewall turned on, that could be blocking access from the phone to the computer...

3. cornputer

cornputer Thread Starter

thankss for the info
    but i still need a way to fix it...anyone got any ideas?

4. anlag

anlag

Let's bump this one, I'm experiencing similar problems. I'm using a Level-One Bluetooth adapter (MDU-0001USB) but other than that it's pretty much the same. Connecting the device, Windows (XP, SP2) quickly installs its own software for it which seems to work fine, the phone and computer find one another and I can even send files from the comp to the phone. However, when I try to send files from the phone to the computer, I get an "unable to connect" message.

Finding this website (first time) and this thread, I tried tampering with my firewall (Norton 2005) then uninstalling it completely. All seems to be gone, and I also disabled the Windows firewall, but the problem remains.

Thing is I've used the adapter successfully until I last reinstalled Windows (couple of months back). Then I used other software though, which unlike that of Windows is hardware-specific. Tried using that now as well but it can't find the device, probably thanks to a conflict with the Windows software.

Any help would be most appreciated. Only concrete way ahead I can see would be to get rid of the software Windows wants to install and simply use the one I used before instead, but I can't quite manage to do that. Other than that, beats me!

Anyone?

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What Bluetooth service do you have them paired on? Serial Port service? If so what is the serial port both are showing set at? What are the 2 bluetooth stacks your using on both the phone and on the adapter on your PC? Have you checked to make sure neither are gimped stacks that don't have compatibility?

6. anlag

anlag

Pretty sure it's serial ports, going into settings for the BT software on the computer it says the allocated ports are COM9 (outgoing traffic to Nokia 7650, "bluetooth serĂ­al port") and COM10 (incoming traffic from Nokia 7650). Where to find equivalent settings on the phone, I don't know. Same goes for the stacks, I actually don't have a clue. I'll try and read up a bit on the terminology, but overall that's another thing that's bothering me, I see way too few settings to tamper with here.

What about I just disable the Windows software for BT and try with the hardware-specific one? Just don't know how ;).

7. cornputer

cornputer Thread Starter

the only way i got around this problem was uninstalling service pack 2. no problems whatsoever after that. beats me as to why...

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I think SP 2 has a Windows BT stack in it and SP 1 does not (don't quote me on it) So by going back to your SP 1 you were using any preloaded stack provided with your hardware.

He's right though you may want to go back to SP 1 and try it then or just try installing the drivers over your SP2 install and see if those take effect?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice