1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows boot disk failure error

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by booey1, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booey1

booey1 Thread Starter

To explain what happened: I have installed windows 7 then the upgrade to windows 10 on this computer.

I installed win 7 originally on an ATA HDD in IDE. It repeatedly gave me the error:
    "Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter"

It did not matter what DVD I used out of the 2 windows 7 ones I had. When it rebooted as part of the install it always came back to that error.

I tried fixing the boot in recovery.
    I tried formatting the partition and installing again.
    I tried deleting the partion and installing again.
    Nothing worked.

I got a new HDD. SATA. I am now using this to boot from, with the other drive as second data drive.

I have now been able to install from the windows 7 dvd and the upgrade to windows 10.

This works, except some times I still get the error on boot:
    "Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter"

Additionally if the system is idle it sometimes freezes after 15 minutes to 4 hours, the screen freezes, the keyboard, the lights are still flashing, but leaving it for hours makes no difference it just has to be hard reset.

System specs:
    Win 10 home 64 bit
    i5-750
    4gb ram
    Gigabyte P55M-UD2 board
    Geforce GTS 250
    Samsung 160gb sata
    hitatchi 320gb ata

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

since this is a new SATA drive, I would venture to say maybe it is hard drive controller problem. But the thing is that it is on the mobo, so I don't know what swapping out the mobo might do upon subsequent re-install/activation of Win 10.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice