1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows boot problem please help ^_^

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zack520, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zack520

zack520 Thread Starter

o.k. first off I'm new to these forums so I would like to put a nice 'Hi' out to you all.

And now on to my question!

O.K.

I just formatted my laptop about a week ago, and installed Windows XP Pro. again....but after I was finished it worked fine...but then I only half installed the Service Pack 1.....and had to leave m work where I was downloading it.

Then when I got on-line at home, it gave a nice big error and pretty much told me I needed to re-install windows again. So that's what I did.....but afterward it automatically shut down(gave me a minute before it will reboot etc) Then when it restarted I got a huge preoblem >_<....

Everytime it give me that damn windows didn't shutdown properly speach and gives me a few options, but everytime I 'enter' one of the options it just freezes!, I even tried the F8 button at the begining and tried every boot up option it gave me....it seems to get stuck somewhere; like something is missing!

I want to know if thiers anything I can do,

- How can I re-install Win. XP from here?
    - How can I check my computer Bios so I can get it to start up my CD drive first to install win. XP
    - I'm open to any options you can give me.....becuase I'm clueless

Thanks fo listening and I hope someone can help me out!

2. zack520

zack520 Thread Starter

Oh yeah here is the screen it gives me everytime;

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION to revert to the most recent settings that worked

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what caused the problem choose START WINDOWS NORMALLY

and it gives me a few options but no matter which option I pick it freezes......if you guys need anymore info let me know o.k. thanks again!

3. scmazter

scmazter

Yeh I had that problem too untill I downloaded a few critical updates.
    My suggestion is, download the updates bit by bit, and make sure u have enough time.
    After you download ALL the critical updates, download SP1, and it will itself only have to download a minimum amount of stuff.

4. zack520

zack520 Thread Starter

I can't get into Windows at all, it freezes at that screen everytime!, theirs no way to get back in, unless I can get to my Bios, and when I hit Del all it says is 'hit F1 to return'

So I need some help getting into windows so I can update....

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What is the make and model of your laptop.

6. zack520

zack520 Thread Starter

o.k., My make is Toshiba, and it's the newest Satelitte model

it's got 1.7 Ghz
    512 DDR RAM
    40 gigs
    GeForce 4
    about a six months old, in very good condition...

7. scmazter

scmazter

Right then, have you tried to start windows in safe mode? Press f8 before the windows logo comes up at startup, and that should get u 2 a black screen, with the arrow keys and enter key choose the option of start safe mode with networking, and update windows from there.
    If safe mode doesn't work, u'll have to reinsall windows.

8. zack520

zack520 Thread Starter

I'm trying to reinstall windows becuase it freezes from there ^_^....so that's why I need to get into my BIOS etc

9. dai

dai

your bios comes in before it goes into windows.
    you just have to press the right key as it boots up to bring up your bios
    are you trying to reinstall windows from within windows.
    boot from the cd and choose install
    if cd is not first boot go into the bios and set it boot from cd first

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice