1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows boot time on logo screen 5mins+ using brand new SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Popesture, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Popesture

Popesture Thread Starter

Hi there

I'm gonna give the full back story help to help you guys diagnose as accurately as possible. I recently bought a new SSD, and used Acronis TrueImage 2014 to clone my older SSD to the new one. Everything was working fine for 2 weeks though I noticed no noticeable improvement from old SATA2 drive to new SATA3.

Yesterday I turned on my PC to have the slowest boot time I've had for years. On the Windows logo screen the HDD light stops flashing and it's like the PC idles on this screen for 5 mins. After a while it starts flashing again and the login screen pops up. After loggin in, I noticed my primary SSD was running fine, the terabyte HDD was fine but my old SSD that I was going to use for Steam games had now disappeared. I checked on Device Manager and Computer Management>Disk Management (drive H: is virtual from POWERISO) to find the drive was not being read. It also does not appear in BIOS It's in port2. I did the standard unplug/check cables and reconnect and still nothing. It was working/appearing fine the day before.

I googled why it may not be appearing and read that, "because the Windows installation is IDE it will need to be changed to IHCP". I read into this a little bit and found my SATA2 was running IDE mode and therefore the Windows install probably was too. I checked this using AS SSD Drive. And it was. I downloaded the Windows 'Fix it' tool. And now the drives are using amd_sata driver which apparently is IHCP. BIOS was always in IHCP mode on ports 0-3.
    The second hard drive still does not appear and the boot time is still bad.

The computer also now takes a while to go from BIOS to boot since it wont allow me to straight away boot to disk anymore?

Any ideas on this one?

Here is the breakdown on parts in PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 SKT-AM3+ Motherboard
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/28/15 13:58:59 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 386.7 GB
    Total Space: 448.6 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: SanDisk SDSSDHII480G SATA Disk Device

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 461.6 GB
    Total Space: 953.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: SAMSUNG HD103SJ SATA Disk Device

The missing drive is Drive F: an OCZ Vert Ex+ 64gb SSD which has been formatted and was blank prior to it disappearing.

Any info you need please ask! And thanks for reading!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some info; I had two ocz vertex drives fail on me [both were replaced by ocz]
    I now purchase ONLY samsung or intel drives. I have never had one of those fail.

What happens to the boot time when you remove the ocz drive ie either pull the pw connector or pw connector and data cable?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As the first step please disconnect the old 64GB SSD's data cable (the thinner one) and with the new SSD as the first boot device in the Bios (is it set like that already ?) check if it will boot into Windows in a reasonable time now.

If that works ok we can go on to troubleshoot the 64GB SSD next.

EDIT : posted before seeing crjdriver's post !

4. Popesture

Popesture Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. Should have tried this sooner, yeah that fixed it, booting in like 12 seconds now. Thanks! :D

Should I assume at this point the drive is dead? I've got a SATA to USB adapter that I could try to see if it comes back to life, will let you know if you like. Yeah thanks a lot!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would bet money the drive has failed. As I said, two out of two ocz drives I had failed. Both of them in a year or less.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Would do no harm to try the drive with the adapter but I suspect crjdriver is correct and it's 'dead'.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice