1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Booting Problem - Need Help Quickly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wheedwacker, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wheedwacker

wheedwacker Thread Starter

I installed ZoneAlarm Free Firewall on my computer, TightVNC, and some windows updates. Then I restarted the computer and got a Blue Screen error after the desktop appeared. It disappeared instantly and the computer restarted. This happened several times.

I went into safe mode and uninstalled zonealarm and tightvnc, thinking that they might be the problem. I also ran an adaware and virus scan and removed a few low risk files with adaware. The same thing happened when I restarted. I went to safe mode and then did a system restore to the day before the problem. It still didn't work.

I tried a repair install from my windows CD. During the install there were a few errors. It was trying to find some files but couldn't. When it finished the install, it took forever for windows to load, and when it finally did, I got a different Blue Screen error, which said that athe file ialmrnt5 was caught in an infinite loop (this error stayed up, unlike the first one.)

What can I do to fix this? I don't want to reinstall, because I need the emails and stuff in OutLook. The things I need are for a business, so it won't be easy to replace everything. The other stuff on my computer was backed up by DataDeposit.

By the way, this happened on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.

2. wheedwacker

STOP: 0x000000EA (0x816808c0, 0x8226e768, 0x82297600, 0x00000001)

ialmrnt5

thats what the last blue screen error said.

3. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

It sounds like your display driver is the problem. You need to go to Dell's website and download the correct display driver for your system. What OS are you running? If XP or 2K, is the display on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)?

4. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

This is probably a silly question, but did you try hitting F8 and choosing LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION?

5. wheedwacker

i dont know if it is on the HCL, but it was running fine for almost a year. It is a dell inspiron 6000, with the built in monitor and graphics. it always worked before

6. wheedwacker

and yes, i tried that.

7. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

What OS are you running? So you're saying that you do have the most current display driver from Dell's website? Also, an FYI -- if all you need is your emails, you can backup your *.pst files and that will save your emails (assuming you are using Outlook and not Outlook Express). I always do a search for ALL *.pst files and back them all up. I have numerous PCs and move from one to the next frequently. This allows me to take my email to whichever PC I decide to use at the time. LOL

8. wheedwacker

it is windows xp pro

I think I have the most up to date version. I dont know though. It was working 2 days ago.

9. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Can you get into Safe Mode now?

10. wheedwacker

11. wheedwacker

do you have an aim so i can talk to you in realtime?

12. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

You don't know what your graphics chipset is by chance do you?

13. wheedwacker

14. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

I do, but I don't have it installed on this box. Do you have Windows Messenger?

15. wheedwacker

i think it was the windows update that caused the first bsod, and then the repair install that is causing the current one. Does that sound right? Or is there some place I could take it for it to be repaired?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice