windows bsod & then blank after reboot (after POST but b4 windows logo)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ubamous3

Hi,

PSU: antec trio (either 550-600)
2 gigs of crucial memory
CPU: Core2duo 6400 run at default (no overclocking)
Graphics card: nvidia 6600

One of my pc’s has been bsod a lot lately for no apparent reason; no new programs nor devices have been installed recently; the bsod messages have been many times but not always related to ntoskrnl.exe and/or page defaults or something along that line; I have tried to take out the boot drive and run a chkdsk on it from another pc and it seemed to stop the bsod for about a week or so and then back again.

Now the weird new thing is that when I reboot after a BSOD related to ntoskrnl.exe, it shows the BIOS POST messages like normal but BEFORE it shows the windows logo, it ‘s just a black blank screen; I have tried
1/ putting the older sticks of memory in (the memory that used tobe in this pc and working for years)

2/ this pc has a lot of hard drives and the paging files are spreaded along all of the drives; I noticed that one drive was acting weird so I took it out and tried to do chkdsk on another pc and it seems totally fine; no errors, so that’s odd

3/ the next step is I’m going to reinstall windows on a new boot drive to see if it even allows me to boot from the dvd drive (there were no dvd drives on this pc; only hard drives)

It sounds like it could be the psu going bad, but it’s not a weak psu; it’s antec trio (either 550 or 600 I forgot)

But bottom line is I wonder what would cause the system to just blank out after POST but before windows is loaded up? This is the first time I see this ever. I can enter BIOS screens and nothing looks unusual; I haven’t flashed the BIOS either

Thanks for any input

unplug all devices except the "C" drive and see if the os will boot up.Or if you can get into safe mode boot option

ubamous3

thanks john for responding

It turns out to be the boot drive; i took it out and ran chkdsk on it from another pc and at the same time, installed a new win2k OS on a new drive in the problematic pc and it installed fine so it must be the boot drive that's the problem; chkdsk found some bad stuff and fixed it; no bad sector or anything like that, but i wanted to put it back in to see if it would boot up after chkdsk /f /r and it did; this way i didnt have to reinstall all the apps and the settings, etc....that would be many hours longer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online