1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows can not start up. File missing or corrupted?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asd123, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asd123

asd123 Thread Starter

Whenever I try to start my computer, the bios loads as normal, but then I get a black screen with the message: Windows can not start because C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\system is missing or corrupted.
    It tells me that I can try to repair the problem by loading the repair console on the Windows XP install disk, but whenever I try this, I get a black screen with a DOS console, and I don't know enough DOS to fix the problem. Help please!

P.S. If it is avoidable, I'd rather NOT have to reformat or wipe my hard drive.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

There are a number of functions available in the Repair Console. The one most likely to help would be "chkdsk /r", but you can review this and other possibilities by simply typing "help" after logging in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice