1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot access:\\Pc\Name

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bigalroden, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigalroden

bigalroden Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I really hope someone can help me with the following problem.

1) My main computer is a desktop PC, which is in my upstairs study. It is connnected wirelessly to the internet, and the Virgin router is downstairs in the living room. This has worked perfectly for 2 years. The computer uses Windows 7 ultimate. (COMPUTER 1)

2) I recently purchased a laptop (COMPUTER 2) and installed Windows 7 ultimate. This uses the same wireless connection and at first I had no problem setting up a homegroup so that I could watch videos stored on Computer 1 on the laptop. The first problem is that the homegroup stopped working some time ago and when both computers are switched on, I get the message on both computers: "no other homegroup computers are currently available." I figured I could leave the homegroup and start again but if I try to leave on either computer I get the error message: "Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup." In services, both the Homegroup settings (listener and provider) are started, as are the peer networking options. I have tried disabling them and re-starting to no avail. Now, this hasn't been a major problem because I have still been able to access files on Computer 1 via Computer 2 by clicking on network>Computer1>user. I can cope with this arrangement if that is the only solution.

3) But here is where it gets complicated. I have now purchased another desktop PC (COMPUTER 3) which I intend to place in the living room and connect to my TV, so that I'm not constantly connecting wires from my laptop (computer 2) if I want to watch something on the big screen. Again, Windows 7 ultimate installed. However, I don't have a USB wireless adaptor for this PC so I am using an ethernet cable. Is this a problem? As I feared, it won't let me join the homegroup for whatever reason. More importantly, although I can see Computer 1 in the network option (and computer 2 when switched on), I get the message: "Windows cannot access:\\computer1\user. As far as I can tell, all settings on computer 1 enable sharing without passwords and allow "everyone" to access the files.

I hope that makes sense and thank you for any help in advance.

Alan.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be a corrupted or mis-configured non-Windows firewall or security suite. What one do, or did, you have on any of those machines?

3. bigalroden

bigalroden Thread Starter

Hadn't thought of that. I have AVG security on computer 1. It is the 2012 edition and now I think about it there have been a few error messages popping up. I have AVG 2011 on the laptop (computer 2) and haven't yet installed anything on computer 3 because it's new but was planning to put AVG 12 on it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can uninstall AVG, run the Remover and then reinstall it after testing.
    Make sure you have the product key or whatever you need for the reinstall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice