1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot access\\

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chart2006, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

I have two computers the first is a laptop running win7 64-bit and my desktop is running the same. When I first set the network up they worked like a dream but ever since that first day it seems as if it works when it feels like it. They're part of the same workgroup, same homegroup, have different ip addresses, different names and so on and yet my desktop will connect to my laptop but my laptop says 'Windows cannot access\OFFICE' when trying to connect to my desktop. I've tried running a diagnostic on both computers but found nothing wrong. I have both computers COMPLETELY shared. Every setting to allow them to share to each other has been selected. I have also checked my antivirus/internet security and it's not causing the issue. I just find it odd they both worked one but now only one will connect to the other but not vice versa.

Also when you look at the list of available wireless networks two show up that are related to mine and yet none of my other computers show it like that. First is the name I gave to my router and the second is "NativeWIFI Default Profile." What is this and why is it present only on this computer?

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

On "OFFICE" (which I persume is the one that won't allow the connection) right-click the shared folder, click the "Sharing" tab, click "Advanced Sharing" and on the "Permissions" button make sure that user (or "Everyone") has read (and possibly write (or just full control)) access.

3. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

Essentially yes it's the 'office' computer which is my desktop that won't allow my laptop to access it's files. Advanced Sharing settings are already set to allow full control to 'everyone' and 'homegroup' for every folder which does no good if I can't even access the computer let alone the files/folders. it's a bit redundant to have both but nothing else seems to work.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show for both machines ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice