1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows cannot find 'anyfile.exe'

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bakbani, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakbani

bakbani Thread Starter

i updated my "norton i.s. 2004" by liveupdate as usual. as the size of update was huge for me (24 Mb) i only updated 4 necessary modules; internet security, antivirus, antivirus definitions...
    some time after download and installation completed (pressing finished button) i got the blue screen error and the system restarted. after booting up, none of my startup programs loaded and i am not able to run any, even from their own location.
    the error is "windows cannot find file 'filename.exe'. make sure you typed the name correctly..." i cant see properties of "mycomputer" as well.
    i even got the same error while running regedit or msconfig except while being in safemode.
    i checked microsoft Knowledge Base for that. they suppose that to be an infection by sircam worm. i checked it accordingly but the value of the related registry was different in mine (so not infected).
    i also scanned my pc via symantec site for any viruses (online check) and it reported one trojan named "trojan.startpage" infecting 30 files of my HD.
    something strange i found is that i can load those programs (like wmplayer) by right-clicking on a movie or mp3 file then "open with" and its done! :confused:

my system;
    windows xp sp1 corporate edition
    cpu 2,4 celeron
    antivirus norton 2004 (monthly updated)

thanx in advance
    bakbani

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I'm going to move you to security for better assistance. You've posted to the wrong forums and was overlooked.

While you are waiting, download hijack this, save it to its own folder NOT TO THE DESKTOP OR TEMP FOLDER, scan your system and post your scan log.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice