Windows cannot find "filename". Make sure your typed the name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SteveReeves

I need help. Can someone assist in resolving the following: Windows cannot find "filename". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

This occurrs when attempting to open a file via windows explorer for the 1st time - I think!

You need to be a little more specific; is it just one file or all files or a particular file type?

When did the problem begin? You might just want to try a system restore to a prior date. These can be undone if not helpful.

SteveReeves

It's been going on for several months. I'm tired of seeing thus this post. I cannot use system restore because I've been working with one of the members in the malware, hi-jack forum to remove a virus - which was successfully accomplished. However, I still have this problem. It appears to happen intermittenly on the 1st try to open a file from windows explorer with either MS Office (e.g. word, excel, etc). On second try, the file opens without incident.

Does the file open in the correct application when you left click on it directly?

And is it associated with that application?

Make sure that in the Default Programs > Set Associations the file type is associated with the proper default program.

Don't know what else to tell you, but if it is specifically an "Office" issue I can move this to the Business Applications forum. You might want to run a "repair" on Office.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6172036.html

SteveReeves

No, the issue is when i select the file while using windows explorer I get the error. If I double-click on the file from windows explorer again, that is , after I acknowledge the error, then the file opens with the correct application (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.)

What file types and are they associated in Default Programs > Set Associations with Microsoft Office Word, if they are supposed to automatically open in it??

Check this even if they open correctly on the second click; I used to see this type of error occasionally in XP with "notepad" when the text file association was buggered.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online