1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nic247, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nic247

nic247 Thread Starter

I am not sure if this is the right category to post this question, but here it goes. So a few days ago after trying to utilize both my hard drives I apparently messed something up because I got the "Kernel Security Check Failure" screen and ended up losing every single file that I had on my pc. I had a bootable media to use and I am pretty much starting from scratch now.

So I have two HDDs both at 1 TB, I am trying to set up either a Raid 0 or storage spaces from windows 10, but I keep getting the error "windows cannot format the system partition on this disk", there is absolutely nothing on that second hard drive, I have attempted to use third party programs to completely wipe the drive with no success. I cannot seem to find anything much useful on this issue so I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me out, thanks!

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Try this script in Powershell (run as administrator)
    Get-Disk

Get-Disk 0 | Clear-Disk -RemoveData (disk 0 is used in this example...your number may be different)

Initialize-Disk 0

New-Partition -DiskNumber 0 -UseMaximumSize | Format-Volume -FileSystem NTFS -NewFileSystemLabel Archive

Get-Partition -DiskNumber 0 | Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter Z (Z is an example...choose whatever letter is open)

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not quite understanding what you are doing. You state you want to setup a raid 0 array. Are you going through the steps to create the array then getting the msg? How exactly are you creating the raid array ie what steps are you using?

Just my opinion however raid of any type is NOT for the home user. Raid is for servers that need drive redundancy.
    Running raid 0 is just asking for this exact scenario to happen. IMO raid 0 is less than useless however that is up to you.

It would also really really help if you posted your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact raid controller, etc. If you are attempting to use onboard raid, that is even more of a mistake. Onboard raid is useless. There is a reason why a quality raid controller costs hundreds of $ Performance and reliability; onboard raid has neither.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    123Zbyniek likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice