1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spackler, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spackler

spackler Thread Starter

OK this is just what I needed. To start off I've already begun the process of moving to a new profile so this is a prevention question because it looks like there is no solution. And I say moving because this is the computer equivalent of having all your things moved out of your house after living there and getting everything just right for a long time. Everything is in-tact BUT what a pain in the rear!!

Everything that I can find regarding a corrupted profile leads me to two MS Knowledge Base Articles:

Note these articles and most of the "solutions" I've found refer to XP and I am running 2K Pro.

1. 318011 This is the article that tells me I'm screwed and have to move all my files and redo all those nuanced settings over again that I've gotten just right over the past 2 years and waste a day and a half doing it. And it has the nerve to call it a Resolution.

2. 811151 This article talks about copying only 3 files (wouldn't that be nice) in order to run the new profile.

The files are:
    Ntuser.dat
    Ntuser.dat.log
    Ntuser.ini

My questions are:
    How do I back up/save my profile regularly so this doesn't happen again? Do I just backup the entire directory of C:\Documents and Settings\hal9000 - which is my cleverly named new profile because I'm sure HAL is going to try and do this again!!

If I copy those 3 files over to my new profile am I not running the risk of copying one of the corrupted files and corrupting my new profile?

What exactly is being corrupted in this instance? Is it one file or a set of files or what? - this one I could not find anywhere.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/195812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice