1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot search for Updates; error: 80070490;corrupt CBS Manifest file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dutch135, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dutch135

Dutch135 Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2Duo CPU [email protected], x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor count: 2; Ram 2036MB;
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 3320MB
    Hard Drives: C: Total -150487 MB, Free -93078 MB: D: Total -2047 MB, Free -1433 MB
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., OKP561; Antivirus Norton 360, Updated & Enabled
    Computer: Dell Otiplex 330, x86 -based PC: Bios Version; Dell A03, 2/19/2008; SIMBIOS Version 2.5

In addition to not searching; The History of all updates is gone. Cannot find any where on the computer
    There are no hidden updates to be found. NEVER checked for Updates; NEVER installed updates.
    Error code 80070490 leads me to a list of 30 items; Item 16 is speciffically error code 80070490 and it tells
    me my CBS Manifest file is corrupt.
    Have had this computer since Sept. 2008. Was having trouble with one of Windows Updates in Aug.-Oct.
    2012 not being successfuly updated. After that, things have been getting progressively worse.
    Have tried several solutions: Norton 360 Has always benn enabled & kept Updated. Have tried Regservo
    Program & their support to no avail & have cancelled them.
    System Update Readiness Tool gets me to step 6 & UPGRADE option has been DISABLED. The other
    option will destroy my Programs ,Email & Settings which I am trying to avoid.

I have been deleting Browsing Hist, Windows Cache Hist. & Office & Multimedia Histories using
    Parotologic Privacy Prog. It is fast But I doubt worth the cost to continue with it another year.

IS there a solution to my problem that will not destroy the Programs, Account Settings, & E-mail
    Contacts???

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi,you could try a "system restore" back to a date when it was working ok.

3. Dutch135

Dutch135 Thread Starter

Did not try the restore method; Two reasons: 1) Not sure when the Problem actually occcured.
    2) have never taken time to learn how to do a system restore! AT some point before that, my printer
    stopped functioning. That problem seems to have been solved by running some driver updates or by uninstalling & reinstalling The Dell A940 AIO Printer. I'm not sure which got the printer to print again.

However, I've notice since Monday, 2/19/13 that it is taking longer & longer to spool a document for
    Printing. Also frustrating
    As you can see I am a novice, but am trying to learn.
    Thanks for the response

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. Dutch135

Dutch135 Thread Starter

Have now tried System Restore Three times. Have followed the instructions provided as closely as I could.
    Could not deem to find any way to create a restore point earlier then 2 /13 /2013. Tried two of them unsucessfully. Used the unrestore or back to where I am (hopefully current settings before trying 'RESTORE'. In each instance I received the message that "RESTORE" was not sucessful due to some unknown error.. I had used one midpoint "Restore" & one back as far as I could go ( which was still Feb. 13, 2013.) & the final one was the current day settings with my current problems still intact.

6. Dutch135

Dutch135 Thread Starter

Posted previously by Dutch135 & still is unresolved. Dell AIO Model A940 Printer has spooling problems.
    Have uninstalled & reinstalled the Printer; Received an update either from Microsoft or Dell site. Printer does a single job ok but is no longer as speedy as it was (about 1/4 to 1/3 slower than originally)

qUESTIONS?:
    1) Would Printer Drivers have any thing to do with my Problem?
    2) How is a Corrupt CBS Manifest file repaired?
    3) Do I have to clean or fix a registry?
    4) Am I as a novice able to do this with the advice offered by those of you with expertice in this area?

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You might want to check this out from one of our trusted advisers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice