Windows cannot start, file missing or corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

niroshido

Hello,
I bought A dell XPS 710, roughly mid September 2007. The pc was for me and college work. As i lived away from family during college terms the pc stayed with me until summer time. On saturday the pc was put into the back seat of the car with car belt + other items pinning it to the seat beside me.

When i got home i insured i got the pc to my room safely yet when i started the pc i got Windows cannot start as there is a file missing or corrupt (press R to repair)
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

i put in the OS cd given by Dell with the pc purchase and attempted to Repair and attempt a reinstall of the OS the missing or corrupt file when i get a blue screen of death including
BAD POOL CALLER
*** Stop: 0X000000C2(0X00000043X, 0XCA514000,0X00000000, 0X00000000)

i attempted also to make boot to cd this priority for booting, yet decided to change it back to old since there was no point.

I am hoping someone here can offer me assistance, oh yes also! (i took the HD, put it into this pc as a slave, copied the important files to an external in the hope that i could reinstall windows.

At this stage i am stumped, i think the HD may have been damaged from excessive vibrations caused by the pot holes(trenches) that existed on the journey. Irregardless i would appreciate the assistance.

Boot from the XP CD and hit any key to boot into the CD when asked. When asked, hit "R" to access the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER. At the Recovery Console, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. You should be able to boot to windows.

niroshido

hi lance,
thanks for replying but i don't think you read the details above.

I cannot get to recovery console or perform a full OS reinstallation due to a blue screen of death

"BAD POOL CALLER
*** Stop: 0X000000C2(0X00000043X, 0XCA514000,0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

outside of this is there anyway of fixing the HD or even possibly the OS? i do appreciate the assistance

Stop: 0X000000C2 BAD POOL CALLER Can be drivers or memory. You say that you backed up all your important data so first I would download memtest86, get the ISO and burn it to CD and run a memory test to verify stable memory. If its OK reconnect the drive to the other computer and remove the old Windows XP partition and leave it blank. Put the HDD back in the DELL and boot from the XP CD. I hope this is of some help.

niroshido

hi lance,

sorry for taking so long in my reply. When i press F12 i found a section which allowed for a memory test (i tried it, no errors)

as for the program above, i didnt have an cd's so just used what was provided

I followed the other steps as to taking HD to another pc and reformating it.
Reformatted it to NTFS then brought it back to the 1st pc, and attempted to install windows XP, but got a bugger load of "cannot copy file _______.___ press ESC to skip file" etc.

took several hours to go through all the messages of uncopied files. Basically the installation failed misserably

any other recommended steps? take to it to a techy for fixing?, buy new ram, hd, dvd drive?, cry ?

any advice is appreciated, as always

If it can’t copy off of the CD then it sounds like there’s a problem with the CD. Are there any scratches on the CD? Fingerprints? Take a fine linen cloth and mild soap. Clean the CD and rinse completely then pat dry. Keep you fingers off of the surface, just hold by the edges and put it back in the tray and try again.

# Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
# When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
# If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
# When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

the try the command CHKDSK /P /R

Davec

Gone but never forgotten
This may seem obvious but hasn't been addressed. Did you re-seat the memory and any cards as well as checking all connections?

niroshido

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who replied and sorry for the delay

I had a techy call to my house yesterday, who investigated my pc, he checked all the hardware resat all the components, ran several tests, memory, HD, and motherboard tests. None of the tests revealed a problem. What made him scratch his head was when he could only install windows vista on my system. he attempted to reinstall win xp, he then tried his own win xp, then he tried win 98 and even linux. He could only install vista. We both then narrowed the error down to 1 component, the dvd drive. then further narrowed it down to the dvd drivers. I have an XPS 710 which utilises SATA both for the HD and DVD drives. the only explanation we had was the SATA device drivers that were required did not exist on my pc since i reformated.

Which would explain why windows XP being released before SATA could not install where windows VISTA could, since VISTA comes with SATA drivers.

i am temporarly going to leave this problem unresolved as i have yet to get the drivers installed on my pc, but as soon as i do i will consider it, resolved a major thank you to all that helped me so far

niroshido

HI again

after the previous post, i am gona update ye

i mentioned i was told by a techy to search for dvd drivers on the dell support site. the drive being HL-DT-ST DVD+- rw GSA H31N. The dell site led me to a "driver" *cough* *cough* firmware (not a driver). I attempted to install this "driver" 2 hrs ago, and it seems to going on old grounds, as in not installing meerly repeating its attempt.

I have been checking ever since for a solution and came across someone who mentioned the specific drive i have, requires the OEM version to install the drivers, if this is case where do i go from here?

fairnooks

Banned
Maybe try one of those old fashioned IDE DVD drives, or at least a different drive regardless of data channel type? Seems like that one might be fubar.

niroshido

hi, i know its been ages since i made a reply but here it is

When i had a techy call to my house he attempted to install, windows 98, xp, ubuntu, windows vista and my xp media edition none worked excluding vista, but i couldnt register that since i had no key. So i was at square 1, i then decided to try some myself, i reattempted a xp media ed. reinstall : FAIL, so i then downloaded UBUNTU : SUCCESS!.

or so it seems, whilst i may have UBUNTU operational, it does not have sound drivers so i cant play music (aww :rolleyes:) but this is just 1 problem, i know and i was already aware that UBUNTU would be a royal b**** to get programs designed for microsoft operational. I bought my pc for the reason of college (well lets say it was for college study ;)) , the following is a list of programs important for college

XNA games studio
JCreator LE
SQL db

i know for a fact that there is no hope in hell to get XNA running on UBUNTU since i need the microsoft packages. As for the other 2, i dunno

whilst all the above is not really getting to the point, i have UBUNTU working, but it does not explain why an install of xp media ed. went all pair shaped nor why all the above posts happened in general. not only that but if i wanted a new disc for my OS (if the disc is dmged) i need 70 + euros (i dont have that)

so if there is any other tips let me know ppl, thx anyways

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts