1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot start my Seagate 1 TB ext drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottspa, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8145 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 832418 MB; D: Total - 152627 MB, Free - 93266 MB; G: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 679488 MB; I: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 892639 MB; M: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 115272 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, 990FX Extreme4
    Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Antivirus, Updated and Enabled
    I have had a new motherboard and CPU fitted on my pc and since I cannot use my Seagate 1TB external hard drive It is permanently plugged into a USB plug. The message I get from the Device Manager is as follows _
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because it's configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)
    I there any way I can replace the registry settings ( all the backup images are stored on my Seagate drive

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Test the drive on another PC to ensure it's still functional. Try a different USB port. Also, ensure you have the latest motherboard (USB) drivers installed. ALL motherboard drivers should be manually installed. Do NOT rely on Windows update to install system drivers. Windows will often install generic drivers which will allow the hardware to function, but not the drivers needed to support all features/options.

I will also add, that as your hardware has changed, your old "backup images" are likely irrelevant (unless the replacements were exact model replacements) as the drivers will have changed.

I understand wanting to get the drive working, but as the PC is apparently working, you can (and should) make a new backup with the new hardware installed/configured.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice