1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service

Discussion in 'Networking' started by elysse, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elysse

elysse Thread Starter

Help! I've had my laptop on our home wireless network for over a year, and all of the sudden I can't get to the internet. We have a desktop connected to a D-Link router, and two laptops, all of which use Windows XP. Of course, I'm using the desktop to access this website.

I've checked out some troubleshooting websites and books, and I can't quite find anything that describes my problem. My Broadcom Wireless Network Connection has "excellent" signal strength, but I have "limited or no connectivity"

When I try to "repair" my wireless network connection, it gets stuck at "renewing your ip address"

When I go to the command prompt, and type ipconfig /all, I get this:

Ethernet adapter WIreless Network Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: [nothing]
    Description: Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g
    Physical Address: [my MAC address]
    Dhcp enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.101.129
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

When I go to the "Wireless Network Connection 2" Properties, and click on the "Advanced" tab then click on Windows Firewall "Settings" button, I get a message that says: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?" I click "Yes." Then I get a message that "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Services (ICS) service." I tried doing the Network Setup Wizard, and everything appears fine then.

I've been trying lots of different troubleshooting suggestions, and I fear I may have done something that has my laptop on the wrong settings for... something. But what?

Most importantly, my partner's laptop connects just fine. That means it's something wrong on my laptop, right?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi elysse,

Welcome to TSG!

First, check the services running on your partner's laptop - assuming you both are running WinXP? - Start->Run->services.msc->Ok Then look for Security Center and Remote Procedure Call (RPC), etc. Note each one that is started on your partner's laptop.

Then on your laptop, bring up services and for any service that is not running, select the service to highlight it, then right-click the service and select Properties - wait for the Properties window to come up. Change the Start type with the pull-down menu to Automatic if it was set to Manual or Disabled - then the service will load and start when you login. While you have the Properties window up, you might just checkout the Dependencies tab to see what other services depend on this service, but if you have the list from your partner's laptop and make both laptops identical with regard to services, then you should be ok as far as being able to run the Windows Firewall.

Hope this helps,

-- Tom

3. Salvor

Salvor

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Dell Notebook and this cured it.

Start => Run => Type netsh winsock reset then click ok. Restart your computer then check windows firewall again.

It worked and the computer now works great.

Good luck

4. itprof

itprof

thank you Mr. Salvor for your solution

it works very well after using the suggested command

(y)

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice