1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows cant copy my files and folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LeeA, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeeA

LeeA Thread Starter

Hi, i was wondering if you people could help me, im trying to Back up all my folders and such because i want to re-build my XP, but when i try to copy the folders to DVDs i get an error messege saying windows was unable to copy the file.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

lee

Attached Files:

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

This may be because of really long filenames or too many nested directories. This can happen when burning stuff to cd or dvd. I am suprised it does not prompt you and ask you if you want to shorten the filenames if this is truely the problem.

3. LeeA

LeeA Thread Starter

I cant see it being the filenames, they are all things like pictures and stuff like that, and as for the nested directories, im not sure what you mean, could you explain?

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Every file has a name. It may show up as an icon or a thumbnail in Explorer, but it gets copied by name. I believe XP supports file names of up to 255 characters, but that includes the path name. So, if the directory path is long, you may be exceeding the limit.

5. LeeA

LeeA Thread Starter

Right.... For instance of a file i want to copy here is a Path..

C: > Documents and Settings > Lee's Documents > My Pictures > Photo001

ive tried moving separate files to my desktops to shorten it, but i get the same error messege...Ive just done a full virus/spyware scan and im clean, this REALLY sucks, has nobody had the same problem?

Ive also tried installing XP over my current by repairing, but it says the version on my PC is newer than my CD which is impossible, unless it means the updates..

Im going to try to copy it to a new hard drive, and see if its the CD drive that is faulty, but i dont think it is...

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't think it's possible to copy files to a blank DVD that way. Try using your DVD burning software.

7. LeeA

LeeA Thread Starter

It should be, ive done it before, also ive tried 3 different burning software..including Nero 6, Im trying a disk defragment now, i have alot of fragmented files so i hope this might help...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice