1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows can't format floppy disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rikkitikkitavi1954, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikkitikkitavi1954

Rikkitikkitavi1954 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4008 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 451 GB (321 GB Free); Q: 12 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO,
    Antivirus: None

I'm having the same issue on this PC and 2 HP laptops. I have a specific embroidery machine program that will only run on Windows 7, and requires floppy disks to transfer designs from the computer to the machine. Until about three months ago or so, I had absolutely no problems connecting a peripheral A drive, and transferring the designs. I have three different A drives that I use, randomly. I tried to transfer designs from my HP laptop to floppy, and got a message that the disk had to be formatted. I tried to format, then got the message that Windows was unable to format and to make sure the disk and the drive were properly connected. I tried a few previously unused, but formatted disks, and got the same messages. I then put it a disk that was full of designs, and STILL got the message that the disk needed to be formatted. I then tried this PC, with all three A drives, and...same messages!! I could accept that the unused disks might not be formatable, however, when I get a messaged that the disk with the designs need to be formatted, then I know there's a problem, just don't know what!! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! The machine only works on floppies, so it's imperative that I find a solution.

Thank-you!!

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It's quite possible that you have a defective floppy drive. It recognizes a diskette being inserted but not the format. You could try a different drive, if you have one. Or, try the same drive on a different machine. If the error follows the drive then it's almost certain that it's defective.

You should be able to purchase a new drive fairly cheaply. (Less than $ 20.00)

3. Rikkitikkitavi1954

Hi, and thanks for the response. As I mentioned in my post, I do have 3 A drives, and the computers recognize the drives. One of the drives is brand new. All 3 drives were tried on all 3 computers with an assortment of disks, as well as a couple of control disks. However, all of the computers indicate Windows can't complete the format. That's why I don't think it's a problem with the A drive, especially since there was no problem a couple of months ago.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I have a Toshiba 1.44MB USB Floppy Drive ( PA3109U-1FDD )
    The HP software from Lawrence's site ( Bleeping Computer ) did not even see the floppy drive assigned "A:". It wanted to format my External USB connected Samsung SSD.

I put in a used 1.44MB Floppy disk. I made sure the Write Protection window was "closed" ( not open, blocked, not write-protected )

Using Win7, I Right-Clicked on "A:" and chose Format ( 512B, FAT ) - OK
    I opened the the Write Protection window to make it write-protected and attempted to re-Format but it failed indicating it was write-protected.

The utility from Bleeping was NOT helpful.

EDIT:

I then tried a Dell Floppy Drive Module ( from the Latitude "D Series" D/Bay ) connected via USB with similar results.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Rikkitikkitavi1954

Hi, and thank-you for your reply, however, the link was not useful. It's an HP download, and this PC is a Lenovo, and I haven't had a chance to try it on the HP PC. The program did download, but wouldn't open, told me I needed administrator permission. I won't have a chance to try the HP until tomorrow, but I will post the result once I do try it.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You may want to move this to the Windows 7 forum. I can't find the specifics at the moment, but I don't believe Win7 works well (or at all) with floppy drives and I know that it can't format in the old "DOS" format than most hardware using such discs will likely require.

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Yes, it does. As I expressed I used two types of USB Floppy Drives under Windows 7. I had no problem reading, writing and formatting 1.44MB floppy disks. Modern systems may not have an embedded Floppy Disk Controller but a USB Floppy Drive is handled like any other removable media. The difference being this kind of legacy device will be auto assigned "A:" and "B:" and can't be managed by Disk Management.

Image.jpg

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Even though the tool is from HP, I've used it on other brand computers. (The last HP computer went out the door in 2008 or earlier).

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Liz is correct, I've used that HP tool many times on several computers which were not sold by HP.

Also I just made a DOS bootable floppy using an external Usb floppy drive and Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, it's an option if you right click on the floppy drive in Windows Explorer (usually it gets drive letter A). Then I formatted it using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. No problems at all.

There must be something else going on with the OP's computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice