Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows clean install questions

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR laptop. It came with Win 7 Home Premium.
I'd like to do a clean install of Win 7 Premium to get rid of all the junk.
Which "versions" of Win 7 Home Premium can I use? I don't need Ultimate. I think there is one "upgrade" version for Starter 7, then there are Upgrade and Full versions of Home Premium. Any others? Isn't "full" only when the installation can't find a previous version of windows? Do I install by booting from the disc, or do I just "run" it after the laptop boots to its current OS? I had to do the latter recently with an XP install.
Before I do this, should I make copies of all the driver's in my system, or just let the laptop search for the driver's using "Windows Update" after the clean install?
Can't I make a DVD of the current setup in case I want to revert back to the factory install?

Thanks!!!!!!

#2 ·
I don't understand. Are you reinstalling to clean up accumulated junk, or is this a new computer and you are going to reinstall to get rid of the HP installed extras?

If the former I'd assume you'd use your Recovery partition or DVDs/CDs.

If the later I suggest you first create your set of Recovery DVDs from the Recovery partition. Then you can boot from any OEM Windows 7 Home Premium DVD, format, install and use the Product Key on a sticker on your PC. Or purchase any version of Windows you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.