Windows confulsed about CDROM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DanVA

My XP Pro system has gotten confused about the drive letters (and maybe more than just the letter) for the CDROM (HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B) and DVD drives. - It’s a very long story. One result of this is it thinks my CDROM (M drive) is now read only - I can no longer use it for backups. I've been debugging my problem for about five months. The other day I thought I'd try to reload/update the driver. I downloaded a more recent driver from Dell and ran it but I get an error. During the pre-flash verifications, it passed FW model name, FW protocol, check sum, and drive model name. It failed at Drive Protocol and says it’s “unknown”. So how can I install a new driver? Actually what I think I really have is a problem in the registry or some other configuration file. I have run SystemWorks but I doesn't look for the tough stuff. Is there a great registry checker? Or is there a way to have the registry remap all the drives or totally clean out all reference to these drive and start fresh?

DanVA

I tried that and it didn't work. It acts like when you delete a file - the file isn't really gone, just the reference to it is changed, making it easy to recover. I need something that wipes out all references and information about the devices and lets me start over - just like they were newly installed. Any idea why the protocol is wrong and how to correct it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online