Windows control panel display error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scoobydammdo

My graphics in windows 98 are grainy. I went to go into the control panel to adjust my display settings but when I do, an error message comes up that says:"Error opening c:\windows\desk.cpl". And I cannot change my display settings. I have installed the latest drivers for my video card and have even re-installed windows 98, but this did not solve the problem. I still get the error message. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you previously have Diamond Video drivers installed? Did the error occur before installing new drivers or after?

I would expect a Win98 reinstall would replace the desk.cpl but not correct the registry entries mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217752

You might also want to extract the file using the System File checker and rename it as instructed, just to be sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online