1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pd154, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pd154

pd154 Thread Starter

I bought an unwrapped Windows XP Pro software with the hologramed code sticker because I bought an automotive diagnostic tool and it NEEDS XP Pro, and IE8. Previous version was XP Home on this dell Inspiron 1300 laptop (celeron M, 2 gig ram, 340gb hdd). It has a Vista compatable sticker on it so i assumed the XP pro should work. After a full install of XP Pro it runs much faster but I also need IE 8 for the automotive system, XP Pro SP3 , however installed only IE6.0.
    The install, and the re-install a day later went all well except that i cannot connect either wirelessly or wired to the internet.
    I get the following message
    " Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine. If you are connecting to the Internet through your phone line using a dial-up connection you will need to contact your internet service provider. Otherwise please make sure that the network card drivers are installed properly or contact the manufacturer of your personal computer for further assistance "
    After this tried to install IE8 with a thumb drive downloaded from home computer but it seems to need to install through Microsoft so it needs internet connection. Any way around that?

Went to Dell and entered my machine codes, downloaded Dell Network Controllers (R154405) but they don't seem to install.
    I dont really need the internet ón this unit but it would be useful to have sometimes for updates and such.
    I have many other devices working off of the WiFi and 1 computer working of the wired ethernet so i do not believe it is that.
    I have shaw internet. Cisco Dpc3825 router .
    Any idea's?
    Thank you.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can we have the service tag number and a device manager screen shot
    it may also be worth doing the identify hardware info - below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. pd154

pd154 Thread Starter

Wayne,
    I am also in Surrey, but Surrey, Canada.
    Service Tag # 8G95NB1
    Hopeing this is what you mean.

In Device Manager, all good except for everything under other devices , which are ;

Ethernet Controller (status:drivers ,not installed Code 28)
    Instance ID. -- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_01C91028&REV_02\4&2FA23535&0&00F0

Network Controller (Status:, Not configured properly)
    Instance ID. -- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4319&SUBSYS_00051028&REV_02\4&2FA23535&0&18F0

PCI Device (status:drivers ,not installed Code 28)Video Controller
    Instance ID. -- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668&SUBSYS_01C91028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&D8

Video Controller (status:drivers ,not installed Code 28)
    Instance ID. -- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2792&SUBSYS_01C91028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&11

Video Controller (VGA Compatable) (status:drivers ,not installed Code 28)
    Instance ID. -- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_01C91028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&10

I think i understand what you are saying, the 8086 before the &DEV is intel and the (eg) 2668 would be hardware part # basically.? Mine were all black however, i assume that does not change anything. (edit) Haha, Never mind, Obviously you put in the red and green only for illustration purposes for me.
    Thank you,
    Pete

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

5. pd154

pd154 Thread Starter

OK, will give that a try first. I am away for a couple of weeks on holiday but will respond with the results when I get back home.
    Thanks again.
    Pete

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093303