Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows could not start because following file is corrupt

785 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dudeofthed 
#1 ·
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

please reinstall a copy of the file above

I dont have a disk although i probably wouldn't know what to d o with it anyway and so what do i do? It was working fine until i just turned it on.

#2 ·
Hello,
I am assuming that you are running windows XP.
if you are able to get a hold of a CD (Home or Pro depending on what you use) you can boot to it, and go through the steps of re-installing your OS.
after you agree to the license, you will be asked if you would like to install XP or repair; select install. it sounds counter-productive, however after the setup examines your disks and sees your current OS, you will have another option to repair that installation.

proceed with that. it will remove the system files, and then reinstall them.

all your programs/files/settings will for the most part stay intact!

Edit: If you are running Vista, there is a similar recovery process, but I don't remember exactly how that one works... maybe someone else can offer some incite!

I hope this works for you!

#6 ·
Is it possible for you to boot into Safe Mode?

To enter Safe Mode, restart your computer and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly to bring up a menu. Navigate (using your arrow keys) to "Safe Mode" and once it is highlighted, press the Enter/Return key on your keyboard. A list of drivers should appear, each one of them is being loaded and is normal (in other words, ignore this list). Log into your normal account AND NOT the Administrator account which is visible.

---

Do you still get that error when you enter Safe Mode?

NOTE: It may not be possible for you to boot into Safe Mode at allsince the file in the error is located in the System32 directory, but it would be nice to know if you still can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.