1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Windows could not start because of the following ARC firmware boot configuration pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by damondickinson, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damondickinson

damondickinson Thread Starter

I am attempting to boot up a DELL intel pentium 4 with a cloned hard drive.
    I get this message:
    "Windows could not start because of the following ARC firmware boot configuration problem:
    did not properly generate ARC name for HAL and system paths. Please check the Windows documentation about ARC configuration options and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I have read through previous threads on this issue and it seems to be the BOOT.ini file needs replacing?
    I am a beginner when it comes to these issues.
    Can anyone offer hand holding?
    I tried BOOTSUITE 2012 and it would not boot up.
    I was able to to boot up the Ultimate WIndows Bootup Disk but NOW WHAT?
    Any help is appreciated.
    THanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Cloned from where? Windows will not boot unless it is on the machine that installed it.

3. damondickinson

from another machine.
    Is there no way around this?
    The hard drive on the original crashed hard, and I need the software from the machines HD I cloned.
    whats the point of cloning if not to duplicate an existing OS and application configuration?

4. Rockn

Rockn

It is in general for cloning to the same hardware. The OS and all of the peripherals installed inside of that image belong to the original computer it came from. Why not just reimage the old machine that crashed with a new hard drive.

Cloning to dissimilar hardware can be a crap shoot at best most of the time.

5. damondickinson

how do I re-image the old HD if I cant mount it?

when i power it up it starts grinding, then an alarm sounds and it cycles like this.
    HOw do I access the image if I cant read it?
    I have hooked it up to my external IDE ribbon and power and USb into my working tower but it cannot read the drive.

6. Rockn

Rockn

I was assuming you had made an image of the hard drive before it had failed. You cannot take the image from your running computer and put it into the old computer.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like you better kiss that drive good-bye. All drives will fail. You should have expected that and made an image.

Getting the data now will cost upwards of $1000.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice