1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows couldn't automatically bind the ip protocol stack to

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lynx1021, May 16, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Windows couldn't automatically bind the ip protocol stack to the network adapter
    Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G, Windows 7, Realtek RTL8111D chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) internal LAN. Ok I have been getting this error after rebooting. My network Icon has big red X. I can right click and run the troubleshooter as an administrator and it fixes it and tells me that "Windows couldn't automatically bind the ip protocol stack to the network adapter" it also says it might be a driver problem. I have uninstalled the driver and tried the one from Gigabyte and later ones but still the same thing. The one I have right now is from this year. I don't know when it started because my wife uses this one now and I can't get on it much. (She thinks everything can be fixed in five seconds, Ha,Ha). I have googled it but most have to do with Win 10. She doesn't want to learn how to run the trouble shooter so I need to try to fix it. It seemed to have fixed it self earlier this year after a windows update but now its back again.
    P.S. I have Free Zone alarm firewall and free Avast antivirus on it, Could they make it do that?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know about Avast, but Zone Alarm is pretty good about messing up networking. :(

Have you tried ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try those when I get home in about hour. I remember that when I was looking around in the adapter settings it said ipv6 had no internet access. I may have disabled it at one time,I think I read where it can slow down your connection when I was on DSL (6 Mbps). On cable now, tests show about 70 Mbps.
    P.S. I am using a wired Ethernet connection to a Belkin 300 router with the wireless turned off on it. Only turn on the wireless on when it is needed.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Ran TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10. Still getting red x after reboot. Rolled back the driver to 2009, it cleared the red x, rebooted, it was back again, updated driver(12/08/17), it cleared the red x. Noticed when it has the red x I went into task manager (Ctrl-alt-Delete) and under network it said "No network adapter found", it shows it ok when the red x is gone. Beginning to think it could be a hardware issue. May be easier to put in a PCI add-on card.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    FWIW, I agree with you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice