1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows CP is running very slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shapeshyfter, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shapeshyfter

Shapeshyfter Thread Starter

Hi everybody,
    I'm new here and I need a little help. My girlfriend and I got a new computer each about a year ago and for the first 6 months hers was running fine. Then she had to move and didn't have internet for a few months. during that time, the MSblast worm came out and when she reconnected to the net, she caught the worm. After I gave her the aptch and all the security updates, her computer started to run slow. After trying MSconfig, Adaware, Spybot, Bootvis, and tonnes of other stuff, I finally formatted it. and for the first few days it ran fine. After those days it started to slow down again and she started to boot to the load to safe mode or normal or last good load. Also, sometimes she got a blue screen saying some hardware error. We formatted again and it did the same thing. So We formatted again, this time buring the secuirty patch for the MSblast on a CD and installed it before connecting to the net. Now it loads up and she doesn't get bluescreens or safe mode anymore, but its running very very slow. I have tried basically everything I know, Scan disk, Defrag, Maxtor Powermax, Msconfig, firewall, Nortons antivirus, Registry cleaners, disabling certain programs and enabling others. Tried bootvis, but didn't really know how to use it. Registry cleaners. I've had no luck. BAsically, she can't run programs that she could months ago. We use to play Rise of Nations Online, but now she always lags out within 10 minutes of the game. I've opened up to case to see if some hardware was loose, but found nothing wrong. I'm completely out of ideas. New drivers.

Her specs: (from memory)
    Running Windows XP pro with SP1
    XP2100
    Maxtor 60GB harddrive
    256 MB RAM
    Radeon 9700 video card
    Sound Blaster Live (something)

Its my first time on the forum so i dunno if the specs I posted are right. Any help would be appreciated

2. Shapeshyfter

btw, the thread was suppose to be Windows XP...

3. telepro21

telepro21

Hmmm.....first question:
    When you say format, do you mean a clean fresh install or a repair of an existing installation?

Second question:
    Are you partitioning the drive or making all 60 Gb into one drive letter?

4. Miz

Miz

5. Shapeshyfter

The first format was a repair, the other 2 were clean installs. Her dirve isn't partitioned except for that 8 megabytes that is taken by Xp i think.
    Thx Telepro21

Thx for the help Miz, I'll try out the sites as soon as I can.

After I try these, I'll post the results.

6. Shapeshyfter

I tried the suggestions

from the services.msc thing at
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm I followed the "Safe" settings and at first it seemed to get a little faster. However, after 10 seconds it went back to as slow as before. After rebooting, it was the same.
    Then I tried CWShredder and it removed Madfinder, but it still didn't make a difference.

is theres any other info that I can provide to help?

7. Shapeshyfter

I have a question, what would be the best setting for virtual memory on a computer?

I was told that this could solve the problem.

8. vistaed

vistaed

ummm...i think you are describing the same problem i had, this is how i fixed it.

go to administrative tools in cantrol panel, and then to services. Find WINS client in the list and ensure that the start up type is not automatic, if it is, switch it to manual.

That shold solve your problem, if memory serves me correctly.

9. Shapeshyfter

Thx vistaed,

Under the advice of friends who know more about computers, I've done another fresh format. If the problem shows up again, I'll try ur method.

Thanks everyone.

10. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

the total min paging file should be 1.5 times the amount of Ram the max usually is twice as much. Generally you want windows to select your virtual memory on your computer.

What happen when you boot to safe mode, does the system still run slowly?

How much hard-drive space is available?
    Under task manager do you see any service on idle?
    Is CPU 100% or?

11. Shapeshyfter

The virtual memory thing seemed to have made the computer a lil faster before reboot. It wasn't much, but noticably faster. Like less lag, more windows (around 4) were able to open without a lot of lag.

I don't remember the safe mode running b/c I didn't spend much time in there when it was coming up.

its a 60 gig hard drive and there is usually 40+ gigs free, now theres about 50 some gigs.

I didn't notice anything on idle. Theres the system idle process. that all. But maybe I don't know where to look.

The CPU is only at a high percentage when a lot of programs are loading.

The Computer right now seems fine. Still slower than it was when it was between the first month and 6 months in. But theres hardly anything on it. Just everything that came with Windows. I'm gonna give it a few more days to see if it slows down again.

12. Shapeshyfter

Its been about a week and a half, the computer seems to be fine this time. I still have no idea what was wrong with it tho

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice