1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Crashes, BSoD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moebius, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

Im having a huge problem with windows xp. i get a BSoD from time to time that says either:

•IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

OR

•PAGE FAULT IN A NON-PAGED AREA. - driver at fault is "NISERV.SYS" (Norton Internet Security TCP Gateway drive)

and i also get a message that says : SYSTEM has detected that the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) has been terminated. SYSTEM will restart your computer to protect it from damage.

for the RPC error, ive disabled "automatically restart when this service terminates", and enabled "automatically start this service when it terminates".

There are no processe running on my computer other than those ive specified. The list of non-Microsoft processes usually running are:

RuLaunch.EXE (McAfee Launcher)
    NISERV.exe (Norton Internet Security - Norton Personal Firewall)
    msnmsgr.exe (MSN Messenger 6.0)
    DC3100mimon.exe (Acer 3300 Camera Monitor)
    FreeMemPro.Exe (Freemem Pro Memory Manager)
    AcroTray.exe (Adobe Acrobat Plug-in)
    MsgPlus.exe (Messenger Plus! plugin)
    StyleXPService.exe (Style XP windows visual style manager)
    ThirtyPercent.exe (DSL Performance Tuner)
    Lucent20A.exe (Lucent CellPiPe Modem Manager)

i have also run Spybot S&D and removed any files it detected that were adware/malware

NB: the ThirtyPercent program uses messenger service to send me ads, so i have disabled messenger service. also, my system usually crashes when im using the web or playing video/audio. i have checked for latest drivers and have downloaded them, but the problem still persists.

i am currently installing all windows update security packs. i am avoiding installing sp1 because it is a large download. are there any specific and important benefits of sp1?

Any Help Appreciated

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

the "SYSTEM has detected that the RPC (Remote Procedure Call)" error indicates you have the Blaster Worm.

You need to update your system, and yes you should get SP1 for the security fixes. You need to get a firewall to stop the Blaster type attacks.

The Page Fault and IRQL errors can stem from a conflicting driver, and also from faulty RAM.

3. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

thanx, i dont have the blaster worm because i scanned it with mcafee and the latest updates.

my ram is quite old though,,,,,,

4. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

i solved the irql and page fault problems,, they are being caused by norton personal firewall. heres the info from norton, check it out if ure using npf and have BSoD's

Norton KB article

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice