1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lisaa7002, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Windows XP Media Center service pack 3, 2GB ram, 1TB HDD. Have a recovery partition on C drive & also have original 130GB HDD with recovery partition. Few days ago the computer was acting odd so I did a cleanup & defrag. The next day when I went to take it out of sleep, it turned grey, and I had to restart. Then after a while of playing it crashed. - It has crashed just surfing, but only once- the other times it has been while playing a downloaded game. The first time it crashed the error report said that "windows\system32\config\system" was missing. I came online & looked for solutions. Tried the the copy, delete, copy, but it just kept telling me the file couldn't be found. Tried system restore, & thought it worked, but after about an hour or so it crashed again. I used "C" for all the copy stuff, should I have tried to copy them from the partition, or the old HDD? I have looked in the system32 file & the file it said was missing is there. Since I have done the restore, I keep getting a corrupt error on my error reporting, so I'm not sure what the problem is anymore. It always starts up, & I can get online, it just seems to crash when playing.

Any ideas? What about using the other drive (or the partition) for the copy /delete/copy? Help! Lisa

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

first have disc to hand or image on HDD

then start run type sfc /scannow wait for it to finish

re sleep/hibernation not good in any comp always getting corrupted if you must use it the delete hibernation file by unticking enable hibernation re boot then re tick it to create a new one

if crash gives a blue screen then analyse the dump

free version half way down page http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

3. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Ran the sfc /scannow. came up with "contact Hp support - do not recommended recovery at this time" & then the next time I tried to boot it came up with black page declaring that my system32\config\system is missing & it wont even let me boot into safe mode. ... Any ideas before I head to the local fix it guys?

4. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice