Windows critical updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theolady

Are all critical updates needed for a home pc? I get lost in the "Read more" and bulletins trying to figure out if it includes me.

I'm not a business. One pc connected to local ISP by modem. Am I at risk? What do these terms mean, taken from the Microsoft update page:

"log onto the computer locally"

"allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it"

"an attacker could execute code on the system"

:confused: feeling really dense trying to understand if I should download every update.

Thanks.

theolady

Windows XP

dai

if you don't leave your computer on all the time there shoud'nt be much risk i just dload the ones i think might be usefull

Yes do, do updates as suggested, because there are UN-announced fixes inside the updates on in particular was that de-frag ran a lot faster and some is always trying to get into your computer. one source is through instant messenger (I personally turn that one off, heard too many bad things) and MS has made corrections to that through critical updates. They will look to see what is needed an what it will accomplish. The main thing that I see some updates are for networks so I don't touch those. The updates will help you solve problems, such as USB speed and hangups on new hardware, new or updated drivers, even improving Internet explorer. It will make windows explorer run better, solve hangups, programs not running and the list goes on. I Have win XP and once in a while things do go wrong and it asks to send a report of the problem to MS. This allows them to solve the more important ones and come out with the critical updates.:)

ALWAYS do the updates. I always do them cuz i dont wanna compromose my system. Microsoft sends them out if they are needed and they are all the time

I do all of the updates yet Interfreeze Explorer still freezes up on certain sites. It's a peace of garbage.

I do all of the critical updates and check out the suggested updates. if you read them you will see whether they pertain to your situation or not. but I always download the "critical updates"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts