1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Defender Beta 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hi… What is the consensus of Windows Defender Beta 2, is it worth bothering with? My experience with M$ progs has not been the best, so I’m approaching this with caution (not to mention it’s a Beta version). I have the executable file downloaded and ready to install.

System specs… Gateway P4, 512MB PC2100 DDR RAM, XP Home SP2 and all critical updates. Also have Spybot and AdAware installed along with AVG free and free Zone Alarm. Any known conflicts with any of those progs?

TIA… Raybro

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I find it to be a useless piece of junk..."Ms Placebo" of spyware prevention and where I have relied on it in client machines it neither updates right or ever finds any spyware that is there.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Just my personal opinion but I DON'T install any Beta.

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I agree with Rich. It isnt much use either in Vista. Problem there is that if you disable it, you still get the daily updates which keep installing over and over but ,probably due to a bug, as it cannot find defender it thinks it has not installed the definition uodates.

5. BigC

BigC

the prog would be good if it was not microsoft the developed it.

6. stantley

stantley

Microsoft AntiSpyware was a really good program (because they bought it from Giant Software) and then MS dumbed it down to Windows Defender. They took out all the good features of MS AntiSpyware.

You should have a real time anti-spyware program and since you have Spybot you could use Spybot TeaTimer rather than get Windows Defender.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are exactly right stantley, the whole reason I put on Defender was because Antispyware beta was agood program, and I did not realize the switch. I use only Spybot now and Spwareblaster I heavily recommend also.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

OK guys... The message is clear and is consistant with my previous experience with M$. I'll dump it.

Thanks... Raybro

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice