1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Defender - Can't Turn On

Discussion in 'General Security' started by drailing55, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drailing55

drailing55 Thread Starter

For some reason, Windows isn't letting me activate Windows Defender even though I have no installed antivirus (as the below log reflects). I get a message that some program I've installed keeps me from doing it. If I try to go through the Action Center, hitting "Turn On Now" just opens system32 in Windows Explorer.

What could be causing this? My school requires us to have some "SafeConnect" program on our computer in order to connect to the internet there, but I uninstalled it as I'm home for the weekend and am trying to figure out why this is happening. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12170 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 286159 MB, Free - 148293 MB; D: Total - 407623 MB, Free - 407476 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., G750JS
    Antivirus: None

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

3. drailing55

I have had Kaspersky in the past so I got the Kaspersky Removal Tool and ran it but that hasn't helped at all.

4. drailing55

I've also tried to run the service in services.msc and msconfig but I always get error messages and trying to set it to run on startup is greyed out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice