1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows defender showing strange filepath on popup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Automaton539, Sep 24, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Automaton539

Automaton539 Thread Starter

Ok, so, I went to start one of my games, not had any problems before, but then windows defender shows up and says what it always says about allowing access, usually I ignore and grant cause it's clearly the game I've just started, but just now the filepath it gave me was "E:4\bc.exe" Now, as far as I knew all filepaths go straight from the colon to the back slash. So this has me a little confused to say the least.

Any ideas?

2. Automaton539

For the record, I've tried finding it too, all it says when I type that into the bar of my file explorer is "Windows cannot find "E:4\bc.exe" please check spelling and try again" (also tried without the "bc.exe")

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just deny it access. If it really is an infection then you would be saved from harm. Then start your game again and see if it says the same thing. If it does, just deny it again, then use Defender to do a full scan of your PC.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What has not been asked - as far as I can see is -
    What game is it please
    and what please in on the partition lettered E:

5. Automaton539

The game was Battlechasers Nightwar and E has a bunch of my games in it, but battlechasers is installed on D as E is my SSD and I save that for my MMOs.

6. Macboatmaster

open defender
    On the GUI click custom scan
    To scan specific files or folders, right-click the ones you want, and then select Scan with Windows Defender. Or, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protecton > Scan options (or Run a new advanced scan in previous versions of Windows 10) > Custom scan > Scan now, and select the file or folder you want to scan.

Scan the E drive OR the folder on E drive if there is one where the files for the MMO for Battlechasers are kept

7. Automaton539

Yea, I mean, I kinda did that already, few days ago when it happened. The problem is the strange nature of the apparent file path. "E:4\" I mean, firstly, there's the fact that there's *anything* between the colon and the backslash. I mean, that's impossible, right? That's an invalid file path. Then there's the fact that, as mentioned in the previous message, battle chasers is not installed on E anyway. It's installed via my Windows store as it's an xbox game (not the steam version), and all of those install on D by default.

8. Macboatmaster

I do not understand you.
    With respect you either

1. Did what I suggested
    OR
    2. You kinda did it

if it was the latter and kinda did it means you did a quick scan
    then scan as I suggested please on the E: drive custom scan

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  9. Automaton539

I see, I assume (and by no means do I say this with disrespect) that English is not your first language? It's a tricky one I'll admit.

What I mean is yes, doing scan was the first thing I did.

Though as stated, the game Battlechasers is not installed on the E drive because I only install MMOs on that drive due to it being an SSD - it reduces my load times and means the only significant factor is server load - and Battlechasers is not an MMO, as such I neither would, nor have, installed it on E drive.

Also, I was querying, not because I was worried about viruses or malware, but simply because as far as I am aware, having any digits between the colon ":" and backslash "\" is impossible as its an invalid path and wanted to find out if anyone knew what could have caused it, or had come across something similar previously.

Also, as stated in the original post, I looked for the file and file path as soon as it happened and they didn't exist.

10. Macboatmaster

There are three kinds of scan in Defender
    One is a quick scan - this looks for suspicious files in the most usual places
    The other is a full scan that will scan all drives and all files, it will take a long time

The third possible scan is a scan of a selected drive, either completely or in a selected folder
    I know you say you ran a scan

What I was asking is, was that a quick scan and if so please run a scan as I suggested on E drive - either the whole drive or the folder with files related to Battlechasers

Perhaps this will make it clearer
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/84796-how-scan-windows-defender-antivirus-windows-10-a.h

I appreciate the unusual format of the file Defender reports it found, what we need to establish is - as the file cannot be found on a search, will Defender find anything on the scan I suggest

11. Automaton539

There are no files pertaining to battlechasers on E drive.
    - I'm not sure how much clearer I can be on that particular subject.

As for which type of scan, I did a thorough scan on the drive. It's only a small drive so it didn't take long.

12. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Good luck with it

I have never known Defender report a file path that does not exist IN Defenders check of the file
    It is quite possible that the file cannot be found on a search, as the file indeed MAY BE corrupted in some manner, either in the Master File Table of the drive or in the file itself. Possibly the clue to this is the apparently wrong file name format.

However, whether or not there are ANY files of any description, relating to BattleChaser, either directly or indirectly, on E drive I do not know.
    That is why I said either check the whole drive with a custom scan or the folder relating to BattleChaser

This of course presumes that Defender reported its concerns - because of the Battlescan start process
    That aspect has not been proved.

More examining is required and my suggestion, was only my starting point

As I said good luck with it.

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Give a screen shot of this message you are getting?

14. Automaton539

Only happened once mate, didn't cap the original.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice