1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows defender

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tranch, Oct 31, 2019.

1. tranch

tranch Thread Starter

I have a Win7 Alien desk top I use specifically for gaming. For some reason it will no longer update or run defender. Is it because 7 is no longer supported or could it be something else? I also no longer can use my Dell Support Assistant. It locks up and does nothing.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not a built-in antivirus app, so you can disable it if you want to.
    Microsoft Security Essential 4.10.209.0 is the antivirus app that I use in Windows 7 because it's light-weight and user-friendly.

Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft and will continue to be supported until January 2020 "patch Tuesday".

Dell Support Assistant is part of the "bloatware" that comes with new Dells.
    It's not needed and can be problematic, so you might consider uninstalling it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

It might be because the Dell Support Assistant itself is an older version and your hardware is long out of support - something along those lines. Regarding Defender I agree with flavalee you will need to install and use MSE 4.10.209.0 in it's place and it will auto disable WD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice