1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Defender

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jimndar, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimndar

jimndar Thread Starter

First time poster -- Hope I get it right.-- I've got a Dell 3.6ghz with windows xp. Recently when I fire it up I get the following: "Application failed to initialize ok800106ba, a problem caused Wilndows Defender Service to Stop. To start Service, restart or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually". Restarting didn't help and I can't find the service or how to manually restart it. Am I vulnerable without Defender?

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

First, download and install "WinPatrol." There is a free as well as paid version. This is a very worthwhile program to have.

I posted the following at another recent thread. The result was success!

"- - - -I may have fixed the "Service" setting via "WinPatrol." I will not know for sure until I reboot after going off line. "WP" has a feature that allows you to directly access "Services," and I found "Defender" "Disabled." I changed it to "Automatic." "Manual is another option."

{redoak}

3. jimndar

jimndar Thread Starter

Redoak --- many, many, thanks. It's not often that I get good tech advice that I can follow and it works the first time. You were spot on (I'm also 77 and trying to become computer literate).

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can go into services.msc to stop and start services manually. I don't think you are necessarily vulnerable if you don't have it running but it does help.

Getting infected with viruses and malware has alot to do with the user of the comuter itself. If people would get more educated on what to click and what not to click or install, they wouldn't have as many problems.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

'jim': You are very welcome. Thanks for the expression of appreciation. Occasionally I can steer someone in the right direction.
    {redoak}

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice